What's Everyone's Camera Settings Limits?

Using the Nikon Z7II I found that the 50mm Macro Nikon was sharper and more detailed than the 105 and that stuff that remained obsure i105n the were clearly visible with the 50.
Like many others I try not to go ISO over 100.
Shutter speed between 1/60 to 1/100
Tethered through a simple cable and activated by LrC.
Two separate tables.
Light source is Raleno

Here’s one about noise vs shutter mode of the Canon EOS R7: Re: Canon R7 bit depth on electronic shutter: Canon EOS R Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

1 Like

This page suggests that the Nikon Z7 II captures in 14-bits with the Electronic Shutterr at frame rates below 10 frames/sec:

PhotonsToPhotos doesn’t show separate dynamic range graphs for standard, Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFCS) and Electronic Shutter (ES) for the Nikon Z7 II as it does for some cameras (Canon R6II shown for comparison), so I suspect it’s OK:

(Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting)

However it is certainly worth checking your own camera as often you do indeed get a lower bit-rate RAW file when using the electronic shutter, not that easy to find out though.

my z7ii certainly allows me to choose 14bit raw uncompressed as a setting while the ES is active, but I’m unsure how I would verify it.

Just guessing really but if you take precisely the same image in both 12 & 14-bit RAW modes using the mechanical shutter then the latter will be a larger file size which you could compare with the electronic shutter equivalent. I suspect that the fact that you can select it means that you’re getting 14-bit RAWs with the electronic shutter, from the manual:

“NEF (RAW) images are recorded at a bit depth of
14 bits. Files recorded at a bit depth of 14 bits
contain more color data than pictures recorded
using [12-bit]. Files recorded at a bit depth of
14 bits are also larger than pictures recorded
using [12-bit]”

1 Like

As everybody else suggested use optimal F stop, ISO to shoot. As for exposure - use simple yet powerful approach. You exposure should be as such that it place film rebate area at the very edge of histogram in Lightroom, make color picker read rebate as 97,97,97%. This is your base shutter speed. You can shoot all roll with that speed and make wonderful uniform between themselves inversions. You don’t really need to measure each shot - it will just make you work harder with NLP. Sounds too simple? Just try it out! No harm will be done

1 Like

Don’t worry about shutter speed. Remember, this is a closed environment so you want the optimal f-stop for your lens, the lowest natural ISO for the camera, and let the shutter speed vary to get the proper exposure. Since everything is locked in place, the shutter speed really doesn’t matter. Either use a shutter delay, a cable/electronic remote, or shoot tethered and let the computer fire the camera.