Film shooting and digitalization

Hi everybody,
I have started to use NEGATIVE LAB PRO to convert my old 35 mm B&W and colour negatives , actually I use a personal setup composed with a custom copystand, Canon 6D, canon 50 mm 1:1.8 with Macro Extension Tube. the results are very good and I count to digitalize all my analogic archive. What I don’t actually understand is the need nowdays to shoot with a 35 mm colour negative or slides ad then digitalize it, I can understand to shoot with large format cameras as (6X6 or 4X5 inch) or B&W 35 mm to keep the old film touch and grain and to continue to use old analogic equipment, I’ll to do it with my Leica M3, but colur shoot ? why?

Angelo

I think people will have different reasons for shooting 35mm color film… personally I just enjoy it. I love the gear, it forces me to shoot more thoughtfully, and it just has this nostalgic quality to it.

-Nate

3 Likes

It never made any sense to me either, until somebody pointed out that some people just like the slightly flat, pastel look you get from shooting negative films, and this is a direct, reliable way to get it. You can get a similar look from a digital file in post-production, but it takes extra steps and involves some trial and error. Once you’re familiar with the characteristics of a particular color neg film, you can get that look dependably without any extra post-processing.

3 Likes

It’s the process. Using old gear is fun. Making your own developer is a rewarding challenge. Each camera and film “sees” the world uniquely. And with NLP, the loop can be closed around the whole process, end to end.

2 Likes

It’s just a fun process that’s a change of pace from digital. Most film shooters seem to use both. I like using my vintage SLR lenses on my modern DSLR too, or using modern lenses on film as well. It’s fun to mix-and match. Then there’s the almost-unlimited highlight range (overexposure tolerance) of negative film, basically the opposite of digital. And with modern fine-grained films (e.g. Ektar, Portra, Tmax, etc.) you can get very high resolution rivaling a 24-mp DSLR on 35mm film, as long as you scan it well.

2 Likes

Thanks everybody for the answers,
I understand your point of view and I agree for what it concerne B&W film which also gives the chance to home develop the negatives, but still with colour negatives I don’t see the point in shooting 35mm film and then digitalize them (wich film and where to get it develepoded with enough quality), if we need a retro look there are plenty of filter on LR or photoshop.

It makes no sense at all. But…
Not really about that. As another way to look at it. Where do you want to spend your time? I love super saturated punchy images which I feel (operative word) looks better in film. Achieving this look in photoshop or Lightroom means spending your time post-processing. I don’t like sitting behind a computer if I can avoid it. Achieving the look is the joy. What gives you joy - tweaking with plug ins on a computer or “on location” That’s the answer. Best

1 Like