Scanning Film Negatives with Epson Scan and Negative Lab Pro

Two quick samples using this method to capture in EpsonScan and then process in Negative Lab Pro in Lightroom (the originals were 14,000 x 14,000 for the equivalent of 196 megapixels, but significantly scaled down for the forum!):

These are straight out Negative Lab Pro. Color Model: “Standard”. Tone Profile: “Standard”. And on the color image, “AutoColor 2.0 - Warming” (my go-to).

Also, folks on the private Facebook group have been asking for my take on the Vuescan RAW DNG workflow with Negative Lab Pro, vs this Epson Scan workflow.

Each method has pros and cons…

The advantages of the Vuescan DNG method are:

1. The ability to use calibrated camera profiles in Lightroom on the RAW data (which is something that can’t be done with TIFFs). Just like with regular digital cameras, this means in the future you could get different or better profiles.
  2. More up-to-date software that (I think) is a bit easier to use (but not without its own quirks)
  3. Way more feature rich than Epson scan - little things I appreciate, like being able to offset or inset the crop area.

The advantages of Epson Scan are:

1. It’s free
  2. At least for the v600, their digital ICE is significantly better than Vuescan’s. This probably varies by scanner, but I’ve heard others having the same experience.
  3. Epson scan was built for Epsons and it seems to have a better grasp on the limits of your scanner… some of the Vuescan options appear to be available but may silently fail if Ed hasn’t figured out how to make it work with your particular model.

Bottom line: you can get awesome conversions with either… a lot of it will just come down to your own preferences and which features you want in your workflow.

2 Likes