14bit Tiff Scans

Hello! I’m using my Nikon Coolscan V with Nikon Scan. The scanner is only capable of 14 bit color. So when using Nikon scan I output a tiff at 14bit. I know the NLP Tiff settings are for 16bit RGB. Is this an issue? Should I switch over to Vuescan to use DNG’s instead? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Although I don’t use Nikon Scan I think you’ll find that your file is output as a 16-bit Tiff even though your scanner can only scan as 14-bit colour. Think of it as a larger container for your colour data than is actually necessary because if you saved as an 8-bit Tiff you would be throwing away colour data. So, in short, your output Tiff will be fine for NLP.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000047403&configured=1&lang=en_SG

Thanks Harry! That makes sense, my file is output as a 16bit TIFF, so I’ll stick with my current settings.

1 Like

It may be worthwhile adding that one doesn’t get more “native” data out than one put in regardless of the size of the container.

Deleted - meant to reply to Mark directly.

Thanks, yes, didn’t mean to imply that but worth clarifying.

You are welcome. Was sure you know that, but posted just for the benefit of those who may not quite understand it.

Mark