Nikon Scan with Negative Lab Pro

Hello,
I am using for 35mm a Nikon Coolscan 4000. Are there any expierience scanning negatives as positives in Nikon Scan and then converted in NLP?
For medium format I use an Epson and the Workflow in Epson Scan for NLP works fine.

Which settings are useful in Nikon Scan for a nice conversion in Negative Lab Pro?

Thanks

Oliver

Any ideas?

Would be nice If someone already tried Nikon Scan.

Hi @Olli99,

I don’t have any direct experience with NikonScan, but I have chatted with a number of users who do, and can provide a few tips.

First, I understand that NikonScan has the ability to scan to .NEF files, but my understanding is that Lightroom can’t really interpret these properly, so you are probably better off sticking to TIFF for use with Negative Lab Pro.

Second, it’s recommended that you set the gamma to 2.2 for the scan.

Third, at least in the examples I’ve been sent that were produced with NikonScan, I get the best results starting off with the “Linear + Gamma” tone setting in Negative Lab Pro. And in some cases, you may have to make significant adjustments to “brightness.”

I hope to do a deeper dive of Nikon Scan in the future, but in the meantime, hopefully other users can jump in and offer tips!

Hope that helps!
-Nate

Thank you for your explanation. I tried some negatives now with Nikon Scan but it won’t satisfied me.
Now I give Vuescan a try but there is one problem:
I scan the RAW DNG like in the tutorial. After converting I see the NLP camera profile. The problem is now that my conversions have a strong orange/red cast. In film type neutral or cooling it is most of the time ok but not perfect. Warming, Standard, Kodak or Fuji have a very strong orange/red cast and are almost useless.
I tried scanning this negatives with my digital camera and there it works fine (but without ICE :frowning:)

I am using Vuescan 9.6.47 and a Nikon Coolscan 4000.

Hope you can help me

Olli