Copying B@W medium format film with a DSLR

Now that we have a global lockdown, I decided to scan some B@W medium format film that I shot recently with my digital SLR (a Pentax K20D) equipped with a macro Sigma lens - 105mm f/2.8 and using as a lightbox my tablet and an application that transforms the screen to white (namely Lightbox) and also with a photo of a white sheet in order to be used in a similar way as a lightbox. I converted my negatives with the trial version of Negative Lab Pro and also within Lightroom itself inverting the properties of the shot negatives with the Tone Curves tab. Now, the problem I had was that the copies of my negatives appear a grid all over the image as you can see from the attached photos (one using only Lightroom and the other one using the Negative Lab Pro.My camera was set on a sturdy tripod Do you think you can provide an answer as to why this happens?

![Processed-13|690x458] (upload://ngywX1KhiZEXx5T0UqhMAKxGQG5.jpeg) I would be really grateful if I could have an answer. Thank you in advance

Cannot see a grid. Looks more like film grain to me.

Using a tablet as light source works, if the distance between the negative and the tablet is big enough, say 1inch or more. Otherwise, the r, g and b pixels of the tablet will be visible behind the negative.

Dear Digitizer,

Thank you ever so much fo the prompt reply. Very kind of you. It is true that when I opened the shot I sent you , within the forum frame, I could not see the grid I was telling you about either. There might be the chance that the system minimizes the size of the photos for saving space but.on my screen and at. Igger sizes the grid is definitely there! I am also thinking that this might be due to the refresh rate (if I say this correctly) of the screen and it should be shot at a specific shutter speed. Againif I am not wrong this happened with TV screens in the past. So, greetings from Patras, Greece.

Costas Daoultzis

Στις Τρίτη, 24 Μαρτίου 2020, ο χρήστης Digitizer via Film Community at Negative Lab Pro negativelabpro@discoursemail.com έγραψε:

ah yes, this could be something to watch too. If you set exposure time to close to a second, screen flickering should be “averaged away”. You can probably find some information about your tablet’s screen refresh rate.

1 Like