Crop sensors, and Using Diopters

Hi all,

I’m working on a scanning setup using a Fuji X-t3 and the 60mm Macro.
I’m a little confused about the math when it comes to getting a 35mm to fill the frame and utilize the cameras full resolution. It’s something like 1:67 with a Fuji APSc, so I would ideally want what kind of magnification?
I’m looking at a Reynox and the Canon 500D, though they use different systems of explaining each system’s strength and I’m completely confused.

Also, has anyone used a diopter to get a better magnification and used stitching (mostly 120 but also possibly 35mm) for higher resolution?

Don’t have the cash for a 40 or 60MP camera–though I have thought about something with a sensor shift feature. Wouldn’t want that with every shot, but to have the option would be nice in case I want to print large.

Thanks!

1 Like

Rainer -

First, your sensor is APS, 1" wide, the 35mm film image is 1.5" wide, so to fill the digital frame your magnification will be 0.67x or 1:1.5

Quick check says the Fuji 60mm f/2.4 macro will focus to 0.5x or 1:2. You can use it at the closest focus and get good images, but you’ll waste some pixels. To get slightly more magnification, the best route will be a short extension tube, either the 11 or the 16mm will do the job.

(There’s another 60mm macro that focuses to 1x; if you have that one, no accessories will be needed.)

I suggest avoiding the front-of-lens accessory lenses; while there are exceptions, in general the image quality is degraded vs. a good macro lens with extension.

Thank you for the reply, sorry it’s taken me so long to get back.
Unfortunately, I’ve read several places the 60 Macro loses a lot of sharpness around edges with tubes, hence the diopter idea.
I haven’t been able to find a fuji 60 1:1…or is it another brand?

Was hoping to kill two birds and have a good scanning lens that could double as a portrait/short tele lens. Doing this on a tight budget, so maybe for now cropping some pixels away isn’t the worst thing. Will still get better quality than my flatbed, I’m sure.

Rainer, I suggest you simply use your lens, crop to the image area. You’ll waste some pixels, but probably will be pretty good on a budget.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies!
I ended up buying an older Micro Nikkor 60mm that has excellent reputation and goes to 1:1. I’ll let you know how it works out.