Dirty scans please help

I can’t for the life of me get a clean scan.

Ill include two photos below.
-The second shot was taken with my Fuji xt30 and the specs are on my sensor I believe.
-The first shot is when I scanned with my friends Canon 6D

Id like to deliver these photos with out all these specs and dust spots.
any advice would be great
is there a way I can re wash the negatives? to get any dust off

Those do look like marks on the negative vs the sensor — always worth having an air blower (e.g. the Giottos Rocket Blaster: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/259157-REG/Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower.html) and maybe an anti-static brush and gloves, regardless.

Dust may settle on your negatives while drying, and there are a lot of ways to avoid this — my trick is to run the how shower for a little while to steam up the bathroom where I develop and hang my film to dry: the moisture in the air helps reduce the dust particles floating around and also seems to help the final wash/Photoflo/et al drip off more cleanly.

You can always rewash your negatives, though if it’s dry dust my first suggestions should help. There’s a chance the marks on your example scan are from the developing process itself — are you mixing from a powder kit by chance? Or has the chemistry been used for a while/needs to be replaced?

Overall, even pro labs need to do plenty of spotting on drum scans to remove marks that couldn’t be removed any other way — so there’s always a certain amount of retouching needed no matter how clean your negs are.

1 Like

Removing as much dust and particles from the negatives (and also film positives) is the main task when capturing a roll of film in my workflow. In order to achieve the best result I use the following:

• An antistatic mat that is used for working with sensible electronical components. It contains a wrist band that is connected to the mat and everything is connected to some electrical ground.
  • I’ll start with the blower and try to blow any particles away from both sides.
  • For any particles that might still be on the surface, I use a soft anti-static tiger cloth and let the film slide through it, while pressing it gently against both sides of the film. I don’t want to produce any scratches, so this is really a very gentle move only.
  • I then put the film (I usually have stipes of 4 pictures) into the holder and blow once more onto both sides - just in case any new particles found their way…
  • …and finally I’m using lintless cotton gloves during that procedure to avoid finger prints on the film.

When I find out after capturing a full roll that there are individual photos with signidficant issues (particles), I will give them an extra treatment and shoot them again. It’s a tedious process indeed and it costs me about 25 minutes for a film of 36 pictures. But I haven’t found a quicker way. I could imagine some gadget that lets you drag the film through very soft brushes or cloth for achieving the same, but working anti-static is very important here and with running a strip of plastic through anything is often associated with charging it and collecting more dust…

1 Like

A quick way to tell where the dust is:

If white, it’s on the negative.

If black, it’s on the sensor, OR a transparency you are working with.

Avoid small lens apertures! They reveal sensor dust more sharply. I usually work 2-3 stops down from wide open.

2 Likes