Hasselblad scanner repair

Hello,
I have been scanning films with my Flextight X1 scanner for a long time.
However, my X1 scanner keeps not recognizing on my Macs, or I have frequently encountered freezing problems during scanning.

I sent email to Hasselblad.com several times, but I didn’t get a reply.

Does Hasselblad not repair the scanner anymore?
Has anyone recently repaired in Hasselblad?

If you have any experience, please advise.

Hi there! You’re out of luck unfortunatley, though all is not lost…

Hasselblad has basically given up on their scanners which I’m guessing is why you’re not getting a response regarding this issue. Flexcolor only works with x32-bit operating systems and is no longer supported on Catalina and other x64-bit only operating systems.

So, if you’ve upgraded to Catalina, your issue might be there - if so, you can either downgrade to Mac OS Mojave or earlier, or get an older Mac computer running an older operating system to use specifically with your X1

If you’re using a computer running mac OS Mojave or earlier (or a PC with 32bit support) and it’s reading the scanner, but crashing while scanning, unfortunately, you might need a new scanner motherboard. I sometimes rent scan time on an X5 in London and they had a similar issue. Luckily they got it fixed by replacing the motherboard but it’s not cheap - upwards of £600 if I remember correct, plus labour fee

I see you’re in South Korea - if you don’t have a repair contact already, your best bet would be calling rental houses that have Hasselblad scanners for rent in South Korea, telling them you’re got a problem with your scanner and see if they know anyone who could fix it for you. If they know someone I’m sure they’ll be happy to recommend them to you

I’m genuinely sorry to hear you’re going through this - it sucks especially after spending so much money on a scanner that is no longer supported by modern OS’s and is soon to be un-repairable after parts run out.

I’ve been using the X1 scanner in a Mac with macOS 10.11.x installed, and since last year, the scanner has not been recognized or the scan has stopped in the middle.
I switched it to a different Mac, but it was the same.

I asked the Hasselblad scanner distributor to repair it, and he said it should be sent to the overseas headquarter for inspection and repair.
And he said it would cost thousands of dollars.
But he said he wasn’t sure if they could get the parts.

I don’t know why Hasselblad doesn’t reply to my emails.
(I paid more than $15,000 to buy X1 scanner!)
And I don’t even know where the overseas headquarter that my local distributor said.

Anyway, now I’m preparing to scan my films with Sony a7R III/IV or Nikon Z7 camera.
I hope these devices have sharpness and smootness of tonal gradations comparable to the Hasselblad scanner.

Thanks for the detailed advice.

Hey man

Yeah, really sorry to hear about that. It does sound like your X1 needs a new motherboard put in as the place I was going to in london had the exact same problems as you’re having.

I feel your pain, lots of people do, though for Hassleblad (now majority owned by DJI, the chinese drone company) it just doesn’t seem a profitable venture anymore. Consider how many people are buying drones in a day/week vs how many people would buy a $15k scanner and you can see why

Nikon Z7 has plenty of megapixels to get you a large print, if you’re after sharpness comparable to the X1/X5, just make sure you get a really good quality dedicated macro lens (they have a flat field of focus, unlike non macro lenses) which definitely comes in handy fo digitising negs, and a way to hold the negs absolutely flat

Good luck! And sorry again your X1 kicked the bucket - I’m sure it had some great negs put through it :slight_smile:

Thank you for your concern and encouragement.
Now I’m trying a new adventure with a new scanning device.

p.s. The X1 scanner works very very occasionally. And I even prepared an replacement lamp! Soon, I have to sell these second-hand…

Where in South-Korea can you rent a hasselblad-scanner?

I don’t know where I can rent a Hasselblad scanner, but I know where I can do self-scan with Imacon 848 scanner.

I still have the Hasselblad Flextight X1 scanner. :upside_down_face:
Sometimes the scanner works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Hmm… I wonder if there is a way to test this scanner’s internal lens(Rodenstock?) by mounting it into a DSLR.
Is there a special lens mount for this purpose?

Your input would be appreciated.

According to this page, these lenses come with a 39mm thread mount, which should make them relatively easy to adapt.

Check the sites for adapters that are used with all kinds of lenses.

Inside my old Imacon there is a Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon D 75mm.

Thank you for the information.
Oh, I visited this page a few days ago. At that time, I was not interested in using it as a camera scan lens.

Today, I disassembled the Flexight X1 scanner and checked what lenses were there. It was a Rodenstock Linos Magnagon 8/75 lens.
(I also have an old Flexight II scanner. This scanner doesn’t work normally either. I wonder what lens this scanner has.)

Rodenstock Magnagon 75mm f/5.6 Scanner Lens — Close-up Photography

According to the above page, the Flextight X5 scanner uses the same lens.

There is no thread on the back of the lens. There is a thread in front of the lens, but it is too inner.
Is it a retaining ring(flange) that wraps around the front of the lens? Do I have to remove this to attach the M39 lens mount adapter?

1x Macro Lens Test 2022 www.Closeuphotography.com — Close-up Photography

Anyway, Is this Magnagon 8/75 lens better than a Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Art lens?.. Ha-ha…
I’m considering whether to buy a lens mount adapter and extension ring to test its performance or sell it second-hand…

I removed the lens from the Flexight II scanner.
It will be removed by simply turning the lens.
The lens was a Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75.

And I was able to loosen the retaining ring on the back of the lens, and a red filter was inserted into it.
The thread on the back of the lens is 39mm.
There is also a retaining ring on the front of the lens, but the filter is not attached.

When using on a camera, it seems that the rear retaining ring on the back of the lens needs to be removed.
And put the red filter on the front of the lens with a front retaining ring.

So what I need is the M39-E-mount adapter like the one below? :sweat_smile:

Focusing Helicoid Ring For M39 Screw Mount Lens to Sony E NEX A7 Mount Adapter 614993478243 | eBay