Issues with my scanning set-up

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with the issue I cannot overcome in my 6x6 scans.
I am using valoi set up (cinestill light source/120 valoi holder) with my tripod. Also I am reusing for scanning purpose Olympus E-PL10 (MFT 16mp sensor) with Olympus macro lens 30mm/f=3.5.
To get better resolution from my scans I was trying to create panorama in lightroom from 2 or 4 pictures.
At the begining I was facing strong vignetting, but lens correction + stoping a bit lens to f=8 solved this one. Now the last remaining issue I see on my scans are vertical lines. They become visible especially when there is a lot of sky in the frame. I am attaching for reference my photo (done by stitching two scans).

Is there any way that I could improve it?

With best regards,
Mateusz

Hello Mateusz, welcome to the forum. I don’t think that I have an answer for you but I’m wondering if perhaps it would be helpful if you uploaded the two frames that you used to produce this image. Also are you positive that you don’t get these stripes unless you use photomerge? I’m assuming that you are referring to the very indistinct and irregular hazy stripes, the most prominent of which is aligned with the figure.

Could this be a result of the light source? Would an extra layer of diffusion or further distance help? I have no idea I’m just spitballing ideas…

Hi all,

sorry for late response. Well, I’ve been doing some tests and I think its not related to the combining two images in panorama mode in Lightroom. I will upload here some example, but today I have no access to them. Probably this is coming from developing, which I was doing myself first time and its cased by to fast agitation with stick. Now I developed another 120 film, so I will have comparison once I get to scan it.

1 Like

That sounds more likely!

1 Like

Stitching two scans would normally, if at all, create one stripe, but the screen shows more stripes as far as I can see. I therefore suppose that the stripes are a result of development (any step unti the film is dry again) rather than stitching. I’d not rule out some kind of unevenness of the backlight or other parts of the setup just yet. Scanning the image in vertical and horizontal orientation with and without any holder helps to check the backlight anp possible influence of the holder.