Orange bleed at edges of scans! Need help!

Yes. With my scanning workflow, I shot my roll of negatives, then removed the negative carrier from the front of the rail, set the camera to manual focus so that the light source was out of focus and adjusted the exposure (I had to reduce the exposure time since the light source by itself is much brighter), then shot the calibration image. Then in Lightroom, I turned on automatic Lens Corrections and set the white balance on the calibration frame, then ran Flat-Frame Correction before making any adjustments to the scanned negatives. The tool runs quickly and exports the corrected images as DNG raw files which can then be processed normally using NLP.

2 Likes

I had some success with Flat Field Correction. Seems to solve the problem! However I’d still love to figure out what’s causing it. It really seems like it might be vignetting from the lens so maybe I’ll look for an alternate cheap macro that I can adapt to my X-Pro2. Maybe the Nikon Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/2.8 Lens?

With FFC:

Without FFC:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for description! It has improved my scans! Now there’s no need to turn out the lights.

This looks like lens vignetting to me and my initial thought is that use of the adapter may have something to do with this, either directly or indirectly.

First, using a lens adapter may cause additional vignetting at close focus (ex: Lens adaptor causing terrible vignetting?: Adapted Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review).

Additionally, the use of lens adapter will probably cause Lightroom to not recognize the lens itself, which throws off it’s ability to use a lens profile to auto-correct for vignetting. Negative Lab Pro asks Lightroom to automatically find a lens profile match prior to conversion, but in the case of a lens adapter, no profile will be found, so no lens corrections will be made…

lens-correction-not-found

In this case, you would then want to manually set the lens profile to the lens you used after converting with Negative Lab Pro. You should then be able to play with the vignetting amount, and see the orange bleed at edges removed. The only issue here would be if the adapter itself also changed the amount or position of the vignetting, then the lens profile would no longer be completely accurate.

See if that helps!

-Nate
Creator of Negative Lab Pro

Thanks for your help Nate. I ended up shelling out for the xf 80mm 2.8 (which is probably overkill) but the results have been really nice so far.

1 Like