Removing vignetting created by film camera lens

Does anyone have any tips for removing vignetting created by the film camera’s lens?

It seems like applying a radial mask in Lightroom can help, but you have to correct for the exposure slider adding orange (maybe from the film base?) using white balance; also I’ve noticed it sometimes helps to re-convert the image (not the end of the world). Playing with different inverted sliders can help, but its a bit headache-inducing.

I know you could also just create a positive copy and then correct it on that, which would probably work fine - I’m looking for ways to keep the number of copies down for spaghetti-management reasons.

Correct vignetting, export to 16 bit TIFF and use NLP from there on. This should help prevent color shifts… at the price of huge files.

never had any problems from vignetting produced by film camers lens
I had problems produced by macro lens upon digitizing process - LR’s built-in lens profile usually helps + adjusting vignette setting manually. Can you provide some examples of what is actually happening?

Since it’s a negative, vignetting on the scanning lens would actually brighten the corners!

I just mean plain old vignetting on the taking lens, the kind you would remove trivially if it were a digital photo.

I’m mainly asking to see if anyone has any novel approaches.

Take scissors and cut the inner part out in a way that vignetting is eliminated.
Novel enough?

:innocent:

Other than that: If your scanning lens has some vignetting and you put it up to compensate the original vignette, you might be just fine. Nevertheless, some loss of quality might be visible due to the superposition of two less-than-ideal situations.

1 Like

isn’t it fixed naturally by vignetting upon digitizing then? :slight_smile: still: just try vignette tools in LR (or other editor)

1 Like

if vignetting is already present on the film original, you have no choice but correct it after conversion to positive - otherwise the color balance of the shot will be completely thrown off.

2 Likes

Ah good to know!

I think the export to TIFF and correct is the only reasonable way. I suppose you could automate this.

1 Like

Certain film lenses have rather more vignetting than a Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro L :joy:

Hi all,

Read this:

and this: