Seeing color banding after conversion, especially in skies

Mon, 23 Oct at 03:12

That’s really interesting, and just the sort of methodical testing that is required to try to get to the bottom of this. It is definitely looking like interference with the panel frequency and your camera but I don’t really understand why this should be so, and why the stripes are vertical. I found another thread on here where the last comment from ‘XPan’ seems relevant:

Note that ‘XPan’ is using a highly recommended Kaiser SlimLite Plano 2453 which many on here use, it’s similar to your NS panel in that is is relatively dim so requires longish exposures, but it seems that he couldn’t use it with his Canon EOS R because of interference patterns.

I imagine that you might be using a negative holder where the panel is integral but if it was me I’d be really interested to know what happens if the panel is turned through 90º with respect to the negative (i.e. does the orientation of the ‘stripes’ change with it?) but that may not be possible to do easily.

I’m not sure if the interference disappeared completely at 1/2 sec but if so then it is does mean that you’re limited to 1 stop steps when setting the exposure assuming that you want to keep the aperture the same, you could live with that though I suppose.

I did read that your camera only has an electronic first curtain shutter, could this be something to do with it I wonder?

If it is some kind of mismatch between certain EOS R cameras and the NS panel then I suspect that NS will know about it and so may be able to help.