Suggested backlight sources for scanning film with DSLR

I thought of checking out the Lume Cube because it looks good on paper and does all the things you mention in your other post Lume Cube 2.0 as light source

What I’m now using after my first test with an enlarger as light source is a Kaiser slimlite plano. The following thoughts brought me there:

Enlarger

1. :grinning: I already have two of them
  2. :grinning: they are sturdy
  3. :grinning: they take up to 6x9 cm negatives
  4. :grinning: negative holder has adjustable crop borders
  5. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: awkward to use unless the camera has a flip-out screen

Lume Cube type of Lighting

1. :grinning: looks good on paper
  2. :thinking: how to mount for more than occasional use?
  3. :thinking: can I get a negative holder for FF and MF film?
  4. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: not my first choice!

Kaiser

1. :grinning: lies flat under the enlarger that I can also use as a copy stand
  2. :grinning: also serves as a light table to browse negatives in their filing sheets
  3. :grinning: was readily available
  4. :thinking: negative holder(s)?

The Skier box looks exactly like the thing I could use best because it can easily handle uncut film with its film holders that are well centered to the light box. Something that my Kaiser and Lomo filmholders do not do without further crafting, but hey, why not?

The thing that really got me off a lume cube scheme was the effort for creating a stable and sturdy setup and the additional cost of getting all the mounting materials like screws and rails. BTW, I also looked the β€œFilmToaster”.