Anyone using the Minolta Bellows I and Slide Copier?

Howdy, all!

I’ve gone through numerous different scanning setups, but ultimately settled on a Minolta Bellows I with Slide Copier kit for a good deal I couldn’t pass up, plus I’d already had the Minolta 50 f/3.5 Macro lens and associated 1:1 adapter.

I’m using this setup paired with my Canon R5, but I’ve run into a consistent issue with lighter/yellow edges on B&W and color film, respectively. Now, on the B&W it’s easy enough for me to fix in post, but it’s a nuisance and it’s downright impossible on color. I understand that this issue is caused by uneven lighting, or the mask of the film holder (in this case the copier mask) causing a shadow. My lightsource is an Aputure MC, and I’ve tried with it right up against the copier, as well as different distances away with basically the same end result of wonky edges/colors.

It also doesn’t help that the copier portion itself isn’t sitting parallel, so my exposures are also slightly crooked. I’ve tried just about everything to resolve this with no luck. This may be a sign to look into another bellows setup, or 3D printed holder with backlight with the camera back on my copy stand. The bright side is the bellows will give me the granular focusing control I was lacking in the past, so it’s not all bad.

The photo depicts the skewed positioning as well as the sides being fouled by the mask. I was going to post a second photo, but can’t in a single post due to new user limitations.

you really need to figure out why the film plane is not perpendicular to the lens axis. in that sort of devices - bellows / film holder this situation is not common. Once you figure this out, you can address shadowing. some folks actually remove the naitive diffuser and even extended back opening slightly filing out 1-2 mm of that back frame

So, the rail system that is meant to allow for moving the slide/film holder up and down also has some lateral play in it, which isn’t likely meant to be there. I can straighten it out by hand looking through it before mounting it back onto the bellows, but the tolerance is so loose that that can knock it askew again. I will look and see if there’s any way I can tighten things up a bit.

It could also be that this particular copy has seen some abuse, though there are no signs of visible damage from say being dropped or anything. The diffuser has some scuffs, but nothing major. I do think I will remove it anyway, as it is a dust magnet no matter how many times to clean it.

Many thanks for the suggestion! I will attempt to look into it when I have the opportunity to do so, right now I’m swamped with work/life, so I’ve put off any further scanning.

I saw another post about using flat field correction along with what amounts to a bias frame (thinking in terms of astrophotography) to negate things like lens vignetting and hot/cold pixels and so on.