Conversion settings are gone

[Issue]

1. Most of photos went back to the state of color negative (orange look). But some photos seems to remain the conversion settings. How can I recover those orange look files to previous state (converted, and colorized)

[Detail]
I renamed some folders on explorer which were synced in Lightroom. Then I need to re-sync those on Lightroom. When I did that, all my conversion settings are gone and most of photos went back to the state of color negative (orange look). Some photos seems to remain the conversion settings so it appears to be colored. These colored photos seems to be not converted since when I launch NLP, there is the "CONVERT NEGATIVES" button. I have tried to the process as follows: “file > plugin-in extras > Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGs” then reset all the develop settings and "metadata> read metadata from files" to do all over again. However, I got the error following:

“WARNING: This utility is for Vuescan or Silverfast DNGs only
We can’t confirm that this DNG was made in Vuescan or Silverfast. Running this utility on DNGs that were not made in Vuescan or Silverfast could have unexpected results on your files.”

Even though all the files are scanned from VueScan. I pressed “run it anyway” and the issue 1. is still remain. How can I fix these problems?

Environment

• Windows 11 Home (Build: 22000.318)
  • Lightroom Classic 11.0.1
  • Camera Raw 14.0

Image for

" These colored photos seems to be not converted since when I launch NLP, there is the "CONVERT NEGATIVES" button."

Image for

“WARNING: This utility is for Vuescan or Silverfast DNGs only
We can’t confirm that this DNG was made in Vuescan or Silverfast. Running this utility on DNGs that were not made in Vuescan or Silverfast could have unexpected results on your files.”

messageImage_1638566465590

Hi,

Doing what you have described above will cause the issue that you see. This is because of how Lightroom works when you move folders. When you move folders in explorer, and then bring those new folders into Lightroom, Lightroom sees it as a new, and you lose any previous custom metadata associated the file. Some of the Lightroom settings may be retained if you happened to save the metadata to an XMP sidecar, but even if you saved XMP metadata, you would lose the NLP custom metadata (which is where NLP gets information about the photo from the photo analysis, and previous NLP settings).

In the future, if you need to move image folders on your computer which are already in Lightroom, do this:

1. Move the folder in explorer
  2. In Lightroom, go to the “Library” view.
  3. “Right-click” the folder where you photos were previously located.
  4. Select “Update Folder Location”
  5. Navigate to the new folder location where you moved the folder.

This will retain your Lightroom and Negative Lab Pro metadata, just as if the folder had never been moved.

Hope this helps!
-Nate

The issue arose when you synchronised the folder → Sync is not the good choice.
Instead, do what @nate proposes. Renaming a folder is like moving it.

Notes:

• Sync is also not necessarily a good idea when files in a folder were renamed.
  • When things are back to normal, you can optimise the catalog (from the file menu) to get rid of orphaned entries.