Creating RAW DNG files with Vuescan

I have the same issue, NLP v 2.2, profile available in Lightroom Classic from NLP is 2.1.
I guess the profiles do not get adjusted for every software update?

Regarding the problem of not saving IR channel for Plustek! Iā€™ve just found the solution!
You have to:

1. Select Input/Media: Slide, not ā€œColor negativeā€, despite what we do is scanning negatives. This is the real key
  2. Select Output/Raw file + Raw save film + Raw DNG format.

If you donā€™t select media Slide, Vuescan will save DNG of already inverted image, despite with IR applied. So I though what if I fool it to save non-inverted DNG but with IR applied by selecting Slide mode and it worked!

Interestingā€¦ I will have to run my own test. Thanks!

Batch Scanning

Hello,
Iā€™m trying to save my self some time by not having to babysit my scanner and scan each frame individually. Since the Batch scanning option in VueScan itself is a mess and it doesnā€™t allow me to scan all the 6 images that fit in the holder im trying a different approach.
Instead of scanning one frame at a time, I just select the whole strip (6 negatives) and let it scan as one big RAW DNG.
The only issue is that I donā€™t know how to cut this one file that contains 6 negatives into 6 files afterwards without losing any of the information, so that I can use it with NLP? Does anyone have an idea? Would greatly appreciate it, since it would save me a lot of time and give me back some joy in scanning.

Have you tried virtual copies?

Create 6 virtual copies, crop each for one image, then apply NLP.
Leave the original as is - for easy fallback.

Yes, however it almost crashes Lightroom and becomes basically unusable

Iā€™m guessing this is because you are dealing with one very large file, instead of 6 smaller files.

You can try to use these tips to speed up Lightroom, but depending on your system, you may find that Lightroom struggles with extremely large files.

Thank you nate, I guess so. Do you have a solution on how to cut this big file into 6 smaller files? or on how to batch scan effectively with VueScan? Im open for anything, but I just donā€™t have the time to scan every negative one by one and sit next to it waiting for the next one to be selected.
Kind regards

Nate are you doing any adjustments with Vuescan Color Tab. Your steps do not include a Color Tab adjustment.

The color tab settings donā€™t affect the dng output. So itā€™s of no use in this workflow.

1 Like

Yes, as @Ansch says, the color tab setting should not effect the DNG output.

I have the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution for this?

what scanner do you have/what problems are you running in to? I use a Nikon Coolscan 9000 and can batch scan OK.

Have you tried this: Create virtual copies and crop then to one image per VC?

after scanning vuescan is opening photoshop for some reason
never happened before but i must have changed something
any clue how to turn it off?

Hey there. I have only been scanning positive slides with vuescan so far, and what I always did is to apply the infrared cleaning in a separate step, so: scan ā†’ RGBI raw DNG file ā†’ RGB TIFF file ā†’ lightroom. But that seems to be incompatible with the recommended workflow for NLP, since itā€™s impossible to create a ā€œrawā€ from another raw om vuescan, the ā€œRaw Fileā€ checkbox in vuescan just isnā€™t there if you have ā€œFileā€ as a source. I can however check ā€œTIFF Fileā€ and then ā€œTIFF DNGā€. Is that just as good as using a ā€œrawā€ DNG for NLP? Or do I have to get rid of my two-step process?

Hi all, I am new for both scanning and with NLP :slight_smile: Thanks for this tool and all information and comments.

Iā€™ve followed all instructions to make B&W scans as Raw DNG for 35mm films / 3200 dpi, with Vuescan. It works well, except the file sizes are quite important (about 60 to 70 Mo / file).
Is there a way to reduce this size? If so, which parameters do you modify ?
If you apply the LR import settings which are described here by @kimballistic , are you able to work as usually with the NLP plugin in LRC ?

I read some threads about this question (such as here, and others across the forum (I cannot link more that 2 URL, being a new user), but I am not sure how to make it workā€¦ I am really new to this :smiley:

Do you have any ā€œrecipesā€ or recommandations ?

Thanks for your help.