Creating RAW DNG files with Vuescan

Not sure what version it is beyond it being listed as Silverfast 8.8. It came free with my OpticFilm 8200i

Ah fair enough, if you have the Ai version you can create 48-bit tiffs which is what I have been doing.
Let me know how you get on with Vuescan support… I just tried on my windows machine and it wouldn’t even load with my Plustek plugged in! So who knows what’s going on with it…
I also tried an older version that I downloaded when I first started using vuescan but it doesn’t detect the scanner… nightmare!

Did you get a response from vuescan?

Hey everyone, I just tried the trial version of Vuescan with the settings exactly as above, but I too have the problem that people above me have encountered: the DNG created by Vuescan does not have infrared cleaning applied. I see the scanner scan twice on the screen - once for the negative, once for the IR mask - but the DNG file does not seem to have any cleaning.

My scanner is an Epson V550 and I run on MacOS, which is sadly the platform where Epson no longer supports their own ICE, so I’m kinda stuck looking for some program that features cleaning which pipelines well into NLP.

Is there an alternative flow that might work? Eg if we scan to TIFF instead of raw DNG, how would that affect NLP’s processing of the negatives?

If anyone still has issues with their Epson scanners and getting ICE saved to the RAW, I just watched a YouTube video where someone using Vuescan with an Epson mentioned that they have to turn the Raw Save Film option on for ICE to be saved to their DNGs. I just tried it myself and this does seem to work for me! Not sure why this would be different for Epson than other scanners, but if it works…

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I am still having issues, although I am using a Plustek 8200i. I feel I have done all sort of combinations, no luck yet.

Hi Nate,
In VueScan there is a Color tab as you know. Which is best to choose for Color Balance, None or Neutral?
Thanks!

It doesn’t matter. The color settings will have no impact on the RAW DNG file that is produced.

Hi Nate,

I have a question regarding using RAW scans from Vuescan software in NLP. When I import the scan and do all the necessary steps (Update Vuescan DNGs, etc.), the profile that shows up in Lightroom is Negative Lab v2.1, which is an issue because I have version 2.2 installed. Therefore Lightroom can’t find the profile, and along with this I can’t seem to whitebalance with the dropper (on the film border, at least) for some reason which I am guessing is connected to this same issue. I sent you a copy of this message with pictures attached of what I’m talking about (since I can’t attach more than one image on this forum). Let me know what you think. Thanks.

This feature frustratingly doesn’t seem to work with the Plustek. I’ve also tried all kids of combinations and just can’t get the IR layer to save into the 48bit output scan.

I noticed it stopped working for me as well, but when I reverted back to an older version of Vuescan it was fine.

Hi, I this workflow still standing with v222 and LR Classic as this date?

Ed from Vuescan is generally very good at responding to issues if you email him.

On my setting, the 48bit output is only for RGB and that’s the one that should be selected for NLP to work properly. The 64bit RBGI output does not work.

Hello Nate,

I’ve gotten comfortable with this raw file step-by-step process for my color negs.,

But now I’m starting to scan b&w. Could you clarify, Is the process and inputs the exact same for b&w as it is for color?

Best to you!

Manny

Hi,

My recommendation would be to have the exact same inputs for black and white. The reason is that the RAW DNG profiles are meant to work on 3 channel (RGB) inputs. If you scan a single-channel b+w RAW DNG, the profiles will not be recognized.

What version are you using? I wouldn’t mind down grading if it works.

Does this matter? B&W negatives have no colour information except possible tints of the film carrier or the backlight.

I believe it was 9.7.33, but it may have been newer than that. I know it’s at least 2 versions older than the current.

1 Like

I feel like I came across this in a previous post, but for the life of me I can not find it. When using VueScan, is there any benefit of adding more “exposure” once locked? For example, if the locked exposure is 1.07 and I change it to 4.07, but keep the exposure lock on so the entire roll receives the same exposure.

I feel like in my previous testing, I had a roll that produced better results in the shadow to highlight transitions, but this could have been specific to this roll.

Do any of you add more exposure once locked? could this help with shadow detail?

Just curious.

Thanks

Is there a certain version of Vuescan that is needed? Or does an older version like 9.6 still work?