Digitaliza lightreflections with Kaiser Slimlite Plano

Hi,

I have bought the exact suggestions I have found on negagivelabpro.com for DSLR-scanning: I use a copy stand, a Kaiser Slimlite Plano light table and Lomographys Digitaliza 35mm and 120mm (–> setup as described on negativelabpro --> “guide” --> section “Tipps for Better Negative Scans --> Scanning with a Digital Camera --> linked youtube video " SLR Film Scanning Guide + RAW Lightroom Editing”). As a camera, I use a Sony a7II and a Nikkor Macro 55mm 2.8 lens with a PK13 extension tube for 1:1 macros.

I have problems with Digitaliza 35mm in this setup: light from the light table shines through the sprockets of the negatives and reflects on the negative holder and then shines on the negative and leaves a brown “cross” on the colour negatives… (at least it is what I suspect is happening. I do not have this issue with the 120mm negatives).

I thought that I finally had the ideal solution and now this… can somebody show me how to avoid these light reflections…?

Help would be much appreciated!!

Best regards, Stephane
Examples of converted pics with these reflections

Hi @Steph,

Yes, it’s possible that the light shining through the sprocket holes is causing this issue, but it’s also possible (or likely) that there is something else in your setup that is making it worse. I’ve seen lots of people shoot sprocket holes but never get this cross flare as you see.

A few things I would try (in order) to see if you can eliminate the problem.

1. Take a close look the film itself… do you see these cross patterns faintly on the film itself? I’m guessing not, but worth checking before moving forward…
  2. Remove any filters you may have on your macro lens (for example, if you have a uv or polarizing filter, take it off)
  3. Make sure your lenses / extension tubes are clean and smudge free
  4. Make sure your lens hood is on
  5. Make sure the “matte” side of the film is facing your camera lens (this should pick up less reflectance than the shiny side will). So, the film name you see on the border of the film should be reversed as it is facing you.
  6. Make sure there is no other ambient light on in the room

Try those steps above and see if that improves at all.

If not, you can try using some kind of black paper or other material to block the light from the sprocket holes, or another film holder which blocks the sprocket holes entirely and see if that improves things.

Hope that helps!

-Nate