Kodak Gold 200 - weird colours

NLP 2.4.2 + Lightroom CC release 2015.7
Epson V600 Photo + Silverfast 8.8 DNG
GX680 + Kodak Gold 200 120(I don’t remeber exactly but I might shoot it at ISO 160 as I was also mettering for SX70 meanwhile).

Hi all,

I’m wondering if this is me, worng exposed film (so also me) or just tough material to WB.
Below photo is straight scan from Silverfast, DNG converted to positive, reset and then WB set to Kodak.

I tried with few pics from this roll and I don’t have any pic I would say - yes, that’s it. Rather all gave me feeling to quit (and it’s not about the framming/posing/model/etc but mainly colours).

Here you can find original scans with boarder and try to convert on your own aiming for natural skin.

I will be really greatful for any hints :slight_smile:

2nd photo as I’m new user and can put in post only one photo :frowning:

Hey – Welcome to the Forum!

I’ve had a brief look to your scans. In their current state, the scans are too dark. I’ve never worked with an Epson scanner nor Silverfast, so I cannot comment on how to change the brightness of the scan but the histogram is quite compressed to the left.

Don’t worry for ISO160, which you may have used to shoot the images in the first place. Gold200 can handle overexposure quite well, so that’s definitely not the issue.

I would suggest to rescan the negatives. Someone with more knowledge with Silverfast will hopefully be able to comment on how to do that.

I have edited my way. For me it looks a bit more natural this way.

And after this NLP settings I converted it to jpg and add some more contrast and saturation as I always do, because I export always with the “Flat” preset ion NGP.

Maybe that will help you a bit?

Thank you,
I will try to scan it again then… I’ve never touch any settings during scanning in SilverFast as I thought it should be as RAW as possible before saving to DNG. I’ll give it a try and share the results :slight_smile:

I don’t think that it is a problem with the scanning. It is fine. I think that you only have to reduce the brightness in Negative Lab Pro to give the photo more punch.

This is what I do. Warm white balance, Lab Soft and Lab sharpenning. Reducing the brightness and increasing the contrast.

(Amazing photo!)

I agree with Paul74 that there is nothing wrong with the scan of this lovely photo and just needs a little bit of tweaking. Everyone’s monitor and judgment as to correct color balance will differ and be personal. I used the LAB-Standard tone setting, a slight reduction in Brightness, and added some warmth and magenta with the Temp and Tint sliders to get a skin tone that I found appealing and natural.

My edition is totaly wrong… The problem when you edit wit a non calibrated laptop.

Your edit is great (a little bit magenta, but it is up to taste)

Testing with your negatives, I found that Lightroom does not choose a NLP profile. Instead, the profile is said to be “missing”. Might be a Silverfast vs. Vuescan issue?

When I select a profile manually, the conversion gets some punch without many further adjustments:

Today I’ve picked up print (proper one - film to paper, not film to file and then paper), and it looks so different that it has cut my wings totally.
I knew that flatbed is not perfect choice, but I was not aware that it overexpose my pics so much…
On Wed I will be picking up new developed films and prints, so I will compare again…
I tried again scan my film looking at the prints and it was not possible to get similar results. And to be honest, better results I get in SilverFast directly instead of NLP.

I’m so confused now and frustrated :frowning: I will ask them for scanning this frame and one additional on their Noritsu and V850 and I will do comparision here.

I thought I’d give it a swing. I think the skin tones look fairly peachy without the entire image being awash with it. It took some settings mayhem to get there, though. “No middle sliders” as they say. Don’t be afraid to absolutely trash those sliders, friends - no one else knows but you.

I found most of the difficulty came from how deep those shadows go. Hard to not crush the details in her eyes and hair. I like it better with higher saturation but I am too lazy to comp it all again.

A few minor adjustments on the original recipe (outside the saturation boost). I prefer it with the shine on her forehead dulled a bit in Photoshop for a more pleasant graduation in the skin-tones.