NLP applies random lens profile in preview, and after conversion. Am I doing something wrong?

Hello! I’m a new user so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

NLP is applying a seemingly random lens profile (for a Laowa lens that I don’t own), to both the preview and the converted image. If I remove the lens profile after conversion the image doesn’t look correct either, since the lens profile affected the exposure.

I feel like i’m missing a step in the process?

For context, i’m scanning my film on a Canon EOS RP with macro rails and a Schneider Kreuznach enlarger lens, so there’s no profile that i’d ever want to use, or apply automatically.

Does it just automatically apply a profile no matter what, and I have to adjust it after the fact?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: For context here’ the lens profile it’s applying. I tried disabling the lens profile before conversion, and NLP seems to re-enable it.

Welcome to the forum @SoftComputerMan

I’ve never cared to check the profiles, but NLP activates a profile as you write.
In case of unregistered lenses, the profile is activated with “none” in the top box.

Somehow, the Laowa lens got into your “Default” setting. You can reset the Default by clicking on the word “Default” and selecting to reset the profile from the dropdown list of options.

Thank you for the reply! For some reason ‘reset lens profile defaults’ is greyed out for me, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to select ‘none’ for the lens or camera options.

I can’t believe there isn’t a way to not apply a profile on conversion? I must be missing something, or my Lightroom preferences are messed up. Will keep tinkering with it…

Hi did you ever figure out a solve for this? im running into the same issue and it is throwing off my conversions. its automatically applying that same lowa lens for no reason

In order to NOT apply a lens profile, switch Setup to “Standard” and to “none”:

…or uncheck profile correction (green arrow)
:smiley:

unchecking profile correction does not fix this. the conversion analysis is done after the profile is applied, so if you uncheck it, the conversion is now even more incorrect.

Lens correction should not change conversion, unless over- and underexposed areas around the image are included in the conversion. They can gain or lose influence with lens corrections. Tried with the Laowa, but still, can’t get any meaningful differences with or without corrections.

Other reasons might exist, therefore please add a screenshot or unedited RAW so that the conditions used for converting might reveal some more information.

Unconverted to start with profile correction turned off.

converted each time using these settings

basic conversion, no change from defaults in NLP. the lense profile is incorrectly applied. note the heavy vignette on the photo

at this point, “just” manually overriding the lens profile corrections to zero results in an incorrect conversion, its too bright and flat.

Finally, after unconverting, enabling profile correction, overrding the corrections to 0%, then reconverting with basic settings, we get a “correct” scan with no vignette or color casting

also my lightroom does not have a “standard” option, but that might be a language difference?

Regardless of the workaround, this to me feels like a bug in NLP. Enabling profile correction when the user doesn’t have it on should at the very least be an option.

Yes. language… Standard corresponds to Default.

About the screens: In all conversions, the box for profile correction is checked.
What do you get if you uncheck that box? does it make a difference?

If you share the RAW file, I can try to reproduce the effect you get.

Anyways, the scan is very dark and scanning again with higher exposure is advised. NLP normally “stretches” the histogram so that you get bright lights and dark shadows. With your file, NLP has to “amplify” the values to get there and every little change is therefore amplified too. But this amplification (stretching the histogram) is not strictly linear and therefore a slight change in an underexposed scan can lead to easily visible changes in brightness, saturation etc.