Previewing highlight/shadow clipping doesn't work

Hey folks,

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but the triangles at the end of LRC histogram’s don’t do anything on the NLP-coverted files (copied as DNG from Nikon NEF). Holding the Option (Mac) whilst dragging exposure sliders doesn’t do anything, either — I just see black covering the entire photo. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?

I’m on newest LRC and NLP 2.4.2.

Cheers, Wojtek

Hi,

It depends on your tonal settings in Negative Lab Pro.

Some of the settings and tone profiles are lifting up or pulling down the brightest and darkest possible values inside the individual R/G/B tone curves. This is usually to emulate the way that a lab scanner works.

Some examples of settings that will do this:

• Pushing up the “blacks” or pulling down the “whites”
  • Using “LabFade” and LabGlow"
  • Using any of the “Lab” tone profiles (like “Lab Standard”)

In these cases, it may not be possible to “clip” the image (i.e. render areas as 100% or 0% brightness). You would need to change your settings in NLP to make ti possible to clip in Lightroom.

Does that make sense?

Hi Nate, thanks. It does make sense. I will try doing things differently and get in touch here if I feel lost. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hey, so: how can I convert an image without any Lab profile applied? The fact that I can’t see clipped highlights/shadows later does my head in, grr :confused: