Scanner not recognizing negatives

Hello everyone, my first time here, and in need of advice. I have an old Perfection 3200 which has always produced excellent scans from negs and slides. I kept my old computer as a spare, running Windows 7 so that I can continue using my scanner and photo printer (not compatible with Windows 10). However, after not using the scanner for a few weeks, I tried to scan some 35mm black and white negs. All I could get was a scan of the scanner bed and negs holder. And yes, I did remove the document mat. Everything was done as I’ve always done. I’ve tried everything I can think of - uninstalled and re-installed the scanner itself and the Epson software - and updated the drivers. But the result is always the same.
I will be grateful for all advice and suggestions, so thank you.
Posting screenshot of scans (hope it uploads OK)

Did you find a solution? I have just encountered what seems to be the same problem.

Unfortunately no. Since then I have purchased the Plustek OpticFilm 8100 scanner, which is excellent - far superior to the Epson flatbed. It only scans 35mm negs but the detail it finds is amazing! Highly recommended! …I keep the Epson just to scan the occasional document or photograph.

I have exactly the same issue as Jayvee and Rkokholm, ie all I get is a scan of the scanner bed and negs holder. I am using an ‘Epson Perfection V330 Photo’ scanner. As per Jayvee’s explanation, I have also tried everything to get to scan negs properly too, except my PC is running on Windows 10; scans of slides work fine. It’s driving me nuts! Advice of a solution would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

There doesn’t seem to be a solution, I never found one or received any advice. So, as I said, I bought the Plustek Opticfilm 8100 scanner and have been very happy with it. Much better than the Epson!
Wish you luck :+1:

1 Like

How about installing a trial version of Vuescan which is up to date and works with the latest operating systems? If it works then it’s probably worth investing in a copy, it works with most scanners.

Ok, I’ll try, thanks :slight_smile:

I have since downloaded and tried VueScan but, unfortunately, with the same results as Epson Scan, ie black images, though slides scan ok.

That’s a shame, the OP didn’t mention slides but you say tht your scanner is still fine with slides but not with negatives, so the light in the scanner hood is working, that does seem strange. You would expect Vuescan to get all the functionality possible out of a particular scanner.