SilverFast RAW HDR + Negative Lab Pro workflow (new v2.1)

Hi, I have the same issue kinda constantly on my Epson v550. Just scanning at gamma 2.2 brings out kinda normal results.

I was curious if scanning with multi-exposure enabled helps? I have run a few tests and it seems that there is no real difference in details. Is this true? Would you recommend that I scan with “Multi-Exposure” on for potentially more dynamic range?

Thanks

I’ve never noticed better scans with multi-exposure. Only time I have is if I use Silverfast for the inversion too

Hi Nate, do I need to do this every time? Ie. if I am importing RAW DNG negatives in one by one.

I seem to have not done this step and the result was normal.

It depends on your scanner model.

If the “Negative Lab v2.1” profile is loading correctly for you without running the update utility, then you are using a scanner model that I can already identify based on the metadata. And in that case you don’t need to run the utility.

Unfortunately, Silverfast uses some unconventional naming in their metadata, so for most scanner models, you will need to run the utility to fix the metadata and let Lightroom know what raw profile to use. In that case, the utility will need to be run once on your photos. It will run on as many photos as you have selected, but yes, if you import a new batch of photos in to Lightroom, you would then need to run the new batch of photos to fix the metadata.

-Nate

Ok cool! I am using an Epson V600 with Silverfast 8.8

I believe the Negative Lab v2.0 came up initially upon import of DNG, running the update utility changed it to v2.1. Not sure if this makes a huge difference? Anyhow I’ll run the update utility to be on the safe side.

thanks

Hey Nate,

Really enjoying NLP to date! I use Silverfast AI + a plustek scanner. Just wanted to check I haven’t confused myself.

Im opening the Silverfast DNGs in Lightroom classic, I then go file > plugin extras > update vuescan / Silverfast DNGs then Photo > Read Metadata from file. After that I covert using NLP.

Do I still need to use the white balance tool on a film edge or it this step not needed with Silverfast DNGs? Because the plustek film holder has holes the same size as individual frames I usually crop before I scan so I have no film edge. Just wanted to check I haven’t missed a key step before I scan my whole archive!

Cheers Ben

I’m using a Plustek 8200 with Silverfast 9, 48bit HDR RAW. I’m noticing that ME / multi-exposure adds a color cast to highlight areas and I’d recommend not using it.

Hi, I have an Epson V600 Photo, and am new to Silverfast and am considering NLP as an alternative to Silverfast Archive Suite 9. I use Lightroom for all my digital photo organization and general editing. I’d rather avoid another format for raw scans if I and use Silverfast SE to create an acceptable Raw TIFF taking advantage of iSRD for old scans and then use NLP. Can you please advise more detail on the iSRD Consideration settings noted here? I could not find the ICC Profile Embedding in the CMS tab of Silverfast SE 8.8. I am also curious of the other scan settings for as RAW as possible. What does one select for Format, Preset, and Resolution. Does one just pick 3200 ppi for example? Is there a choice in the SE 8.8 Workflow Pilot that achieves the intended result because I do not see iSRD as an option.