Using Negative Lab Pro with Vuescan RAW DNG scans

You can export as a RAW DNG in Lightroom, HOWEVER, I don’t believe the export will actually be cropped, so it would still include the original.

If you wanted to export as TIFFs, then this would keep the cropping information. BUT, before you do this, you will want to make sure that you have applied the Negative Lab v2.3 profile to the originals, and white-balanced on the film border. After doing that, you should be able to export all of the virtual copies as TIFFs, and convert with Negative Lab Pro.

Hey there, quick question - what colour space should the scans be in? sRGB or Adobe RGB? Or does it even matter?

In general, it’s not a bad idea to try to scan in a larger color space initially (i.e. Adobe RGB) so you can be sure you aren’t clipping any colors at this earlier stage, but if you are working with Vuescan RAW DNGs, I’m not 100% sure if the color space settings in Vuescan will have any impact.

Got it, makes sense, thanks.

I have a question regarding the vuescan settings.
I’m having a lot of trouble getting accurate/good colours out of NLP and Vuescan, using the recommended scanning method. I tried Silverfast on a whim and the conversion right out of the gate gave me much better results.

This forum isn’t allowing me to paste more than 1 image, here is the album - Imgur: The magic of the Internet

This is a Vuescan scan with a default conversion - it’s extremely yellow. Even if I choose Auto-Neutral, it becomes too blue. I cannot get an accurate colour rendition out of it even if I play with the RGB sliders.
Album pic 1 - auto-warm
Album pic 2 - auto-netral

And this is a Silverfast scan, which right out of the gate has better colours. (I do suspect the “lasersoft” watermark screw it up and that without it I would get even better results). The BlackClip being at 50 was needed because the of the “lasersoft” watermarks.
Album pic 3 - silverfast conversion

Here are the Vuescan settings I am using, would you know why I’m having this much trouble with converting the scans? I really do hope it’s a setting I am missing because I paid for vuescan and dread to pay anew for silverfast :confused:

Album pic 4 - Vuescan settings
Album pic 5 - Vuescan settings
Album pic 6 - Vuescan settings

Thanks!

Hi @dakide,

What scanner model are you using?
Did you add all the profiles from the “Vuescan Profiles” directory (in the initial NLP download) into Lightroom Classic?

The first possibility is that either I don’t have a profile for your scanner, or that it wasn’t properly during the installation process.

The second possibility (if the profile is available and working) is that you just need to adjust the color balance in Negative Lab Pro… so for instance, where you have used the “AutoWarm” you may just need to adjust the temp and tint a bit.

Either way, if you are able to email me a sample DNG at nate@natephotographic.com, I can take a look and see if I have the same issue.

-Nate