What is the current WF for medium format scans?

Hi all,
I have acquired a 6x8 and 6x9 cameras recently. Previously I have used NLP many times with my Nikon D750 and ES2 scanner to digitize 35mm film however I don’t have any experience with digitizing MF yet.

As a negative holder, I have purchased Lomography Digitaliza which is good for the formats i shoot however I am wondering what is the best way to shoot the negatives.
I’m thinking stitching in LR. Does it give The best results or should do HDR as well and merge altogether?
Cheers,
Fatih

I’ve scanned at various exposures and tested with HDR. I found that NLP is fairly tolerant to exposure and that HDR did not get me better conversions.

I found that colours can shift slightly with exposure and that the results depended on many other factors too, which made predictions difficult. I propose you run your own tests to see what your negatives will deliver.

All my negatives are at least 25 years old and none contains a colour checker/target. I therefore go for results I like, rather than for results that might be correct…

Stitching for higher pixel count makes a difference. I only use it if the original shot is good enough and I want to have it printed really large.

2 Likes

@FatihAyoglu, what have you gathered from your MF shooting/digitising?

Is there anything that you’d like to post in order to help others with MF negative scanning and converting?

Hi,

I do apologise as I’ve forgotten to respond. So yes, I have done stitching plus HDR. Super time consuming and not worth it. If carefully exposed, none of the films I have had wider DR than the CMOS of my d750. So that throws the need for HDR out. Stitching is ok-ish but LR stitching algorithm is not designed for flat curve plus if I don’t need to zoom into the grain, there is no reason to stick 6x6. If you are shooting 6x9 or bigger like 6x12 or 6x17, most likely and if 4x5 for sure.