Why am I getting this vignette on my scans?

I’ve been having this problem since I started digital scanning. When I convert my negatives on Lightroom using Negative Lab Pro, it has either an orange/red or blue/green vignette. I don’t know if it’s my light source or my lens because I’m using a Canon T3i with a 7mm extension tube and the light source I use is a light table from Amazon. How can I fix this?

Do you gave a second example with a slightly brighter (and not underexposed) image? That would it make easier to analyse it.

And what do you use as a negativ holder?

I use the DigitaLIZA holder.

Hi,

Two things you can try:

1. First, make sure you mask out any light from your light table that isn’t directly illuminating your negative. You can use black card-stock to make a simple mask.
  2. Try the same shot, but don’t use the extension tubes (yes, for this test, you will not be able to get as close to the negative). See if you still get this vignette even with this scenario. If you don’t, then the issue is probably your extension tubes (which can cause issues like this).

Hope that helps!
-Nate

1 Like

I’m using an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS type II on my Canon T3i. I know that macro lens is recommended but I’m on a budget so what extension tube would be good to get the best out of a 35mm film?

Hey, this looks like a lens vignetting. I have same issue but not to that extent with Lumix 30mm macro lens. Lightrooms flat field correction tool helps a lot. Here is a nice post that describes how to deal with this issue.
https://www.pixl-latr.com/defeating-the-orange-haze-lightroom-flat-field-correction-an-essential-tool-for-digitising-film/

I’m not familiar with your setup, but
how big is your Amazon light source compared to negative holder?

Light leaks from the light source that’s not masked off, or indirect ambient room light ( windows, computers, lamps) can also have an effect.

Good luck
FW

1 Like