Blue/teal cast!

Hello all!

Very new to all this so I apologize for not formatting anything correctly.

Currently using the trial version of NLP and Vuescan to capture a RAW DNG of my negative. When I bring the raw file to lightroom I follow all the steps in setting the profile and white balancing. I crop in the image to insure there is no border showing yet I still get a terrible blue teal cast over the entire image. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum @MaxJPhoto

Iā€™d try a tighter crop of e.g. the top righthand quarter of the image. Parts of the floor seem to be burnt, and that can throw NLP off.

You could also share the image on wetransfer.com or any other shared service or volume so that we could try to see what needs to be done in order to get rid of that cast.

Hey! I tried cropping in tight on just the subjectā€™s upper half and even still itā€™s casting blue. Iā€™ve tried other images and it seems to be working better. Maybe itā€™s just this particular image?

Hereā€™s the We Transfer link of the original tile if you want to try editing! Thanks so much.

Had a look at your file in LrC on Mac and found the following:

• The vuescan profile was not loaded (even though it was there and accessible)
  • When I assigned the profile manually and converted the image, I got this:
  • When I followed instructions from NLPā€™s first tabā€¦
    a) ā€œBefore converting, ensure that the ā€˜Negative Labā€™ raw profile sets with no errors. If it doesnā€™t, hit ā€˜cancelā€™ below and run ā€˜File > Plugin-Extras > Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNGsā€™ andā€¦ā€
    b) Read metadata from the file, the profile was found, but the conversion produced ā€œthe bluesā€.
  • Then, I followed instructions from NLPā€™s first tab againā€¦
    a) ā€œBefore converting, ā€¦ā€
    b) ā€œRead metadata from the fileā€, the profile was found and converted as shown above.

Tested with NLP 2.4.2, LrC 12.2.1 on macOS 12.6.4 on iMac 2019 (Intel, 27in 5K)

I guess that the file has an issue with how metadata was written. This seems to be a case that is probable enough to make @nate add those instructions.

Yes! Thank you so much. Seriously a huge help. Was not manually setting the profile before converting.

Very much appreciated thank you.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome.

One issue remains: Why donā€™t NLP/LrC detect the correct module?