I have been trying NLP in different versions of Lightroom: 6.5, 6.14, 7.3, 7.5, 8.2, 8.4, 9.0
with scans of an Epson V700 with Vuescan.
The reason for this is that I am a BSD and Linux user, so I can run LR on Win10 inside Virtualbox instances on Linux or FreeBSD, which is totally fine with many cores and plenty of ram, yet if possible, I prefer to run on Wine emulation. But Wine implementations of Windows can be tricky, so I needed to compare different versions of LR in native Win10 and on Wine to find out what works.
In doing so, I noticed that (same in Windows or on Wine), NLP produces different results depending the LR version.
I did use the latest NLP 2.1.2, default color model setting but with 0% margins crop (crop done before). And of course I did ensure the plugin is corrected installed and loaded.
The scans are Vuescan raw files in DNG format, done as per instructed by NLP doc.
one thing: LR6 doesn’t have the camera profile option on the top “Basic” menu of the Develop module like LR from 7.3, but instead an option in the “Camera Calibration” bottom menu.
As i have never used LR before I don’t know what to expect, but in my installation of LR6 , there’s no other option than the default “Embedded”.
on LR9 the “Negative Lap Pro 2.1” camera profile is clearly shown in the “Basic” menu.
So maybe there’s some non obvious setting in LR6, and the results differ because in fact NLP profile doesn’t load. I tried deleting all .dcp files excepted the one needed ie. Vuescan V700 provided by NLP, but no difference.
I have used some problematic negatives on purpose
this one, taken against a rising sun (and which is out of focus because I didn’t check calibration of the camera…), is quite hard to salvage, color-wise.
this one, no exposure problem, but it has a lot of green which does set off others inversion routines (in Gimp, ColorPerfect and other PS actions).
this one is a late evening sun setting down back the buildings
this one, the setting sun is reflecting on the golden wings and parts of the sculptures
The results in LR9 are clearly better. (in fact these LR6 results are the same until LR 7.3, and from LR 7.5 it’s like LR9)
i am wondering if it is related a configuration that must be set in LR6, but INLP docs tells nothing about.
Here are the scans uses, Epson V700 4200dpi, 48-bit transparency as image, saved as raw in DNG format, 272mb to 512mb: