How to convert tiff scans from a lab

I’ve been using NLP for a while for 35mm, but I don’t have a scanner for 120 so I’ve been having my lab do positive tiff scans, leaving the film unconverted. They are using a Naritsu scanner, and when I asked about the gamma settings they didn’t have an answer. The conversions I’ve done so far have been ok, but I’m wondering what the best practice is.

Should I be using the tiff scan prep utility?

Does anyone know the native gamma settings of a standard naritsu lab scanner?

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @jordan

You might find some technical information about gamma in the file’s metadata, or could share an image or two on a cloud/sharing platform like dropbox or swisstransfer.com for us to check the files for you.

Also check the respective chapter in the guide that you can access at the top of each forum page - or simply try different ways to proceed with NLP.

1 Like

I’m running into the same question here, got the “positive scans” from the local lab I use regularly.
What can be the best practices/process for starting with the files like these
Have already done some experiments with the tiff scan prep with the gamma setting on linear, this seems to be the closest setting I can get comparing to the original lab conversion.
Just wondering if there is some more accurate ways for dealing with the files.
Reference “positive scans” attached below

Just gave it a try

1. White balanced the image from where the pink circle is

2. Convert and set custom white balance from the roof

NLP settings

Play with all the controls (drop-downs, sliders, checkboxes) until the result matches your taste.

1 Like