TIF Scan Prep: Is It Necessary (or Beneficial) for TIF Files that are Already Gamma 2.2?

Obviously, there are no rules dictating what one has to do with regard to prepping a film scan prior to color conversion with NLP, but a question arises: If a scan of a color negative was already generated with gamma 2.2 by the scanning software, would the TIF Scan Prep utility make any observable difference to the color conversion done by Negative Lab Pro?

My understanding is that the TIF Scan Prep utility essentially does the following:

1. Takes the original TIF file and temporarily converts it to gamma 1.0 (regardless of the file’s original gamma);

2. Applies color multipliers to the gamma 1.0 color space; and finally

3. Converts the file to gamma 2.2 (this is the form of the TIF file that is then worked on by NLP).

The intention of the utility seems to be to expand the tonality of the original file before it gets worked on by NLP. In practice, this expansion of tonality should be observable in an expansion of the histogram of the image after the TIF Scan Prep utility has been used. But, if the original scan was already generated with gamma 2.2 by the scanning software, should the “deconversion” to gamma 1.0 followed by “reconversion” back to gamma 2.2 have any practical effect?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1 Like

Hi @sbadham :wave:

Yes, this what the Tiff Scan Prep utility currently does.

Yes, it will make a difference because of step #2. The color multipliers are more accurately applied when in gamma 1.0 - because in gamma 2.2 the gamma curve will impact each color channel slightly differently because each color channel will be in a slightly different place along the curve. Will it make a big difference? Not necessarily. But it should be slightly more accurate.

With all that said, though, the biggest difference of using the Tiff Prep Utility will definitely be when working with a gamma 1.0 file because the expansion of tonality on the original Tiff helps with accuracy once you begin converting and editing in NLP.

I continue to experiment with alternatives to the Tiff Prep Utility because of the time & storage the extra step consumes.

1 Like

Understood. Thanks for clarifying, Nate!

Oh no…did a 40 negative serie with NikonScan gamma 2.2 in TIF but did not apply the prep utility. Can i still go back to the original positive scan?

Update:
Tried with Unconvert, apply prep utility and NLP again, but result is more yellow. Also got an extra gamma 1.0 file(?)…am i suppose to do something with that file?

Lucky i got an unprocessed backup of the file on another drive, applied the prep util, white balance it and crop it, apply NLP… result is still little yellowish.

I liked the straight conversion from NikonScan gamma 2.2 though.

Hi there!

Dear fellows! Unfortunately, i getting errors with my files when using Tiff Prep (metadata related) and can’use the utility on my files (((

Can anyone help me and explain how can i prepare the files in the same manner using the image magick or photoshop or any kind of utility?

as @sbadham say

@nate

But it is not! Tiff scan prep actually converts to the gamma 1, not gamma 2.2!

In my case Tiff scan prep produces the files ending with “gamma-1”
And this is the files converted from my linear tiff files with further gamma expansion

in terms of imagemagick
+gamma .45455
then
-gamma 1

where is that point?

That’s just the file name. The output from Tiff Prep Utility is always gamma 2.2. The filename is appended just to distinguish it from the original.

@nate

Please look at the illustration below

From Left to right

1. Image produced by the Pacon Photoshop actions (slightly different)
  2. Image produced by the Tiff Prep Utility
  3. Image produced by the Imagemagick in two steps
  1. Original Linear Image

We see here an expansion of the tonality, so gamma is not to be heighten

Or you mean that in tiff file should be a “gamma” tag with a value of “2.2” regardless of tonality?

If so, then one must include third step to the Imagemagick chain?

then again
+gamma .45455

???

Hi,

I’m not sure what you are trying to show exactly? The image produced by the Tiff Prep utility above looks correct. It has taken a linear image and applied a gamma correction of 2.2. It has also attempted to analyze the base color of the negative, and apply a color multiplier adjustment, although in this case that isn’t really necessary since it is black and white.

If you are using ImageMagic and want to adjust the gamma of a linear file to 2.2, you should be able to use the command “-gamma 2.2” instead of the multiple steps you have done. Just note that it won’t match exactly (especially color images) since Tiff Prep is also analyzing the film base color.

For software that produces non linear files (like flextight, which produces files with a gamma of 1.8), the TIFF prep utility will first convert the file to linear, then analyze the color of the film base and make adjustments in linear space, and then output the final to gamma 2.2. It’s just a bit more accurate this way.