How to scan REDSCALE film?

When I try to scan REDSCALE film the colors that come out are not appropriate.
Has anyone tried it and it worked?

Redscale is a technique in which you turn the film over so that the pictures come out with a red hue.

Thank you very much!

Same question here! I scanned a roll of CineStill Redrum and had really varying results - not all good. This one is OK, I think but definitely the process is unclear to me at best.

The examples I’ve seen on IG that are most compelling are the ones that go from deep red to orange and have a lot of contrast in-between. Sheesh, this ain’t easy.

Good question, @AnalogResistance and @mike_kukavica

The algorithms in Negative Lab Pro are partially designed to find and correct for color imbalance. But with something like Redscale, you obviously want the image to have a strong color bias.

So for starters, try turning off any of the auto-white balances in Negative Lab Pro. You may in fact then need to manually add back in some of the hues you are looking for, in this case, by adding magenta and yellow.

You can also play around with the white balance settings then in the new “advanced” tab in v2.3. For instance, you might find that “linear dynamic” will be better than “linear fixed” in this situation.

-Nate

1 Like

Hey Nate, I hope you didn’t take my post as criticism. Redscale is about ‘edge case’ as you can get in the color negative scanning space. NLP and your efforts in it are remarkable and I’m very grateful to have it!

I’ll try what you recommended. Earlier today I took a stab at just playing with the file in LR by flipping the tone curve and playing with white balance.

Your suggestions are a great way to go, thank you!

Because you don’t want the red to be balanced out, I found a good starting point is to set border buffer to 0% to include unexposed borders and any dark scanning masks. I set the White Balance to “NONE” and Tones to “Linear - Flat.”

Those seem to give good start points in retaining the redscale.

2 Likes