iPhone Light Issues

Hello, I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn’t find it.

I’ve been really enjoying NLP so far, and I feel like I finally got a setup that works for me, but I’ve noticed that some of my pictures have bright light in the corners.

I picked the darkest picture I could find to demonstrate how pronounced this effect is.

I’m using my iPhone and the Negative Supply basic film carrier (with diffuser). I’m wondering if the presence of the erroneously white areas is because of a lack of brightness from my screen.

I also had scans done at a lab to compare, and they came out fine, so I know it’s not a problem with the exposure or the development.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some clarity.

I’m at a loss for what to do at this point. I’ve tried 2 different light sources (iPhone 12 Pro and Raleno 116), 3 lenses, every aperture and exposure combination, and I’m still getting these light borders around my photos.

I would really appreciate if someone has advice here because I’m about to just give up on this whole process. Thank you.

Hi @PimpMacDaddyBoy,

Can you post pictures of your setup?

When you see bright edges around your photo like this, you have to remember that this means that when you digitized the negative, the edge areas are too dark!

This could be due to a number of factors…

1. Too much area between the diffuser and the film (causing more diffused light to reach the center than the edges)
  2. Too small a light source (causing more light in center than edges)
  3. Vignetting from your digital camera lens

-Nate

What Nate said. More, I’d be interested in seeing the lab scans that you mention look ok.
You should take the negative of the frame with family at Christmas and look at it under your light with a loupe directly to see if indeed the corners/edges appear darker (in the negative itself, not the conversion/scan). My guess is they might, and if so, the lab scans had correction done.
But we really need to know what you’re using to digitize (cameras/lens) with.