Iridient X-Transformer DNG before NLP

I’m strongly considering adopting NLP for my workflow as I’m just getting started. I shoot with a Fuji XT-4 and, because of the Fuji RAW processing issues with Lightroom, CaptureOne PRO is my processor of choice.

However, for negative scanning, I’m willing to get Lightroom with NLP as long as I can put Iridient X-Transformer into the workflow. So that would be Camera → Iridient X-Transformer → DNG Output → Lightroom + NLP

So, I guess the basic question I have is: Does NLP rely on the correct camera RAW file format (for Fuji, this is RAF)? Or will an Iridient produced DNG file work ok? I’m not sure how much of the color data table is maintained in the processed DNG, and if NLP will interpret that correctly

Any help appreciated!!

I’ve used DxO PureRaw as a preprocessor for Canon raw files. Exported (linear/demosaiced) DNG files worked as expected. NLP does not convert the raw files and accepted the raw/dng/tif files I tried so far.

Excellent! Thanks for that. Just wasn’t sure how much NLP needed SOOC RAW vs pre—processed DNG. Excited for this!

My experience with Fuji X-Trans files suggest that it’s not too much of an issue if you keep “Detail” at zero when sharpenning. Instead you may want to use “Texture”.

I’ve been using Fuji’s XT-2 with great success applying above technique.

1 Like

Hi @fslashd,

Yep! As others have said, the DNG produced by Iridient X-Transformer will work well with Negative Lab Pro.

I shoot with a Fuji XT-2 and XT-5 and here are few tips I use in my workflow:

1. I always use “Photo > Enhance > Raw Details” as a first step when I import the RAF files. This will create new DNGs that do a better job (I think) of interpretting the RAW data.

2. In Lightroom’s sharpening section, set “Detail” to 0, and increase the radius to around 1.8. Then adjust sharpening. It should be less prone to creating weird artifacts with these settings.

3. I also find that a bit of the texture filter can help a lot!

Alternatively, if you want to still use Capture One for the raw demosaicing, but then process it in Negative Lab Pro, here is how to do that:

1. Open the RAF files in Capture One

2. Under the “Base Characteristics” set the ICC profile to “Fuji (your model)… generic” and the “Curve” to “Linear Response”

3. Adjust the white balance in Capture One using their white picker off the film border

4. Export it as a 16-bit TIFF with no other processing.

5. Then import that TIFF in Lightroom Classic, and convert with Negative Lab Pro (don’t white balance it again in Lightroom, and do not use the TIFF Prep Utility… it should be ready to convert as it is).

(Protip: You can use the free Capture One Express for Fuji to do this… you don’t have to have a paid version of Capture One)

Hope that helps!

-Nate