Issues editing converted raw files on Lightroom for iPad / CC

Hi. Have been using and loving NLP for a while now. From a practical perspective my workflow involves scanning using a Sony A7iii (and previously a Fuji XT3) and then converting the negative raws on my PC. I then export to jpeg and do final editing on my iPad using Lightroom CC.

I have to do this because the raw files which sync to CC come out way darker when viewed online or on the iPad but the JPEGs files are of course fine. The issue with jpeg is that all the bit depth is lost and when I print the files are rather underwhelming / suffer banding.

I am wondering if other people have this issue? I really would love to keep all my editing in raw but also use the iPad for at least some of the process as getting time on my shared home PC is tricky.

Thanks for any help,

Alex

I’ve been using NLP on my mac with Lightroom classic and recently wanted to expand to lightroom on my iPad. I don’t understand the Lightroom naming alphabet soup but when I look at the raw images they are not the same and get the error “Negative Lab v2.3” is not available on this device. So it seems like the same/similar issue and wonder if there is a plugin for plain old lightroom.
Thanks,
Craig

A few posts deal with LrCC and you might find the reasons and workarounds if you search the forum. It’s about resources missing in LrCC - if remember correctly.

For better bit depth, use 16 bit TIFF instead of JPEG.
Haven’t tried HEIC yet.

@InstaxAF @OldManChubbs

This is already discussed in this forum post:

If you want the RAW file to display correctly in Lightroom Mobile, you need to add the camera profiles to Lightroom Desktop, and then sync those camera profiles to Lightroom Mobile.

You may find that this is still a bit hit or miss… I don’t believe there is a direct way in Lightroom Mobile to force the re-rendering of RAW files, so you may still see the previews be incorrect until you go in and edit them.

In general, I recommend making positive copies (either TIFF or JPEG) and then have just those synced to Lightroom Mobile for further adjustment (rather than syncing the RAWs).

-Nate

Thanks Nate,

This has solved the issue, though of course edits are still reversed and a little tricky.

TIFFs are probably too large and Jpegs have led to issues with printing so I think I will either need to make do or get myself a better laptop for editing on the go.

Thanks once again for your support. Love this plugin.

1 Like