Missing profile with pixel shift DNG?

I’m currently testing out pixel shift captures of negatives with my Fujifilm GFX 50sII. The process for combining the 16 photos that Fujifilm recommends is to use their own software, Pixel Shift Combiner. This outputs a DNG file that I can bring into Lightroom. The problem is that NLP shows a Profile Missing alert on this DNG. I do use this same camera for “normal” digital scanning and conversion with NLP with absolutely no problems, so my guess is that there’s something about Fujifilm’s pixel shift app that is throwing off NLP’s detection of the camera? Does anyone know a workaround for this, or does a NLP profile exist for pixel shifted GFX files?

Thanks all!

Have you tried saving or re-exporting the same file to a new DNG in Lightroom, after applying the camera profile, and then working on the new DNG?

I haven’t tried this, though am wondering how to do this?

If you do a Google search for “creating a DCP profile” and “applying a DCP profile in Lightroom” you should find plenty of tutorials that will for sure be more articulate than what I could possibly put together for you.

With that said, assuming you are scanning 35mm negatives, since a good quality 35mm negative’s resolution should max out at around 85mp, I wonder what benefits you might gain by “scanning” your negatives with your GFX pixel shift feature.

Thank you! I will look into exploring this option. I had also sent the DNG to Nate.
I’m scanning 4x5’s with the pixel shift option mostly (the occasional MF 6x6 or 6x7 if it’s worthy). I do use my GFX for non-pixel shift scanning of 35mm. I have heard remarks around the web about how 50sII / 100s pixel shift files looking quite close/similar to drum scans.

I see… My bad for assuming you were scanning 35mm with pixel shift.
Good luck, then.

Hi @louisng and all,

I’ve been emailing directly with @louisng on this and just wanted to close the loop on what we found.

It looks like there is a metadata bug in the Pixel Shift Combiner app.

Lightroom uses the metadata of the photo (particularly, the “UniqueCameraProfile” tag) to determine which camera profiles are applicable.

Lightroom is expecting the UniqueCameraModel to be “Fujifilm GFX 50S II”, but instead, the Pixel Shift app is changing this to “FUJIFILM GFX50S II” (capitalization, plus no space between GFX and 50).

This is why the usual profiles are not being displayed as they should (not only is the Negative Lab Pro profile not being displayed, but all the usual Lightroom profiles are not being displayed, for instance “Adobe Color” is also missing).

There are a few ways to fix this:

  1. You could use ExifTool to correct the UniqueCameraProfile on the DNGs run through the Pixel Shift Combiner.
  2. You can use a profile which has been updated to recognize the “FUJIFILM GFX50S II” (which I’ll include in v3 and which you can download here: Dropbox - Negative Lab - FUJIFILM GFX50S II v2.3.dcp - Simplify your life)

Of course, ideally, Fuji can also fix the issue with the Pixel Shift Combiner to output the correct metadata.


1 Like

The DCP file works perfectly. Thank you Nate!