Overexposed film converting with strange color

Hello, Im very new to the film development and scanning, and this is my first post here, please be nice :wink:
the photo was overly exposed due to first time using phone light meter app and wrongly read “56” aperture as “5.6”. it was also first time using this camera Bronica sqai.

1. Which version of Negative Lab Pro are you using?.

v2.3.0

1. If using DSLR scanning, please include: 1) camera make/model, 2) lens make/model, 3) light source make/model.

Sony A7, 90mm MacroG, 99CRI light bed. film kodak Potra 160; 6*6 frame.

1. Please add the conversion you are having difficulty with, along with a short description of what you are seeing wrong with it.

when simply convert by default setting, i got strange yellow part on the left side.
but when i choose to covert to black and white, it looks normal.

Raw file:

many thanks if you can share some ideas how to correctly convert the photo :wink:

We can try to make the best out of your dufficult starting point:

1. Converted the image manually (not with NLP), inverting the R, G and B tone curves, sort of like the thing that NLP does (check out the tone curves of a converted image)
  2. Desaturated all colours but red using the HSL tool

The image looks foggy still, there are some gradients and clouds, but I don’t mind all of that, because we still got something that looks quite all right in my eyes.

Sometimes, negatives can be difficult to handle by automated tools and then, some manual labour can save the day…

1 Like

wow, thank you very much for your help.
looks amazing, I noticed that you even removed some ‘errors’.
so now i will start playing with photoshop/pixelmator to tackle these corner cases.

errors, hmm.

If we take photography as a way of reproducing what was, it’s something else than using it as a way to express whatever crosses our minds, enhances a vision or a feeling.

The solemn feeling that the wintery stadium exudes was only “disturbed” by the left side bench “poking a hole” in the edge…so I removed the bench, which increased the quiet of the scene imo. I’m not overly concerned with the brighter edges, but they could probably be darkened with slight gradients or a simple vignette - if necessary. Vignettes can alter the aspect of an image, as can e.g. a mirrored copy. All of it can be highly subjective - or way off truth of reproduction.

Isn’t it nice to have a choice?

1 Like

It may sounds blizzard, but probably a very interesting experience for a negative-film beginner to start with.
in fact I realize the sticking out benches after i took the shoot in a hurry:
because beginning of Apr. to see snow like this is definitely not something i would expect, and i can see the snow is quickly covering the lens to make it too wet, so before finding the perfect angle i took the shoot.
then realize the overexposure after an hour in a restaurant.

so i went back again to take a proper shot: with correct exposure and angle.
funny thing is, first time loading 120 film is also challenging, so i end up with a picture like this. haha.

guess i just need to play with it more.

Thank you again for sharing your idea and experience.