Profile missing on one file but not the other

I am losing my mind, I Have two scans of the same picture both raw dng, one works fine but the other always gets the profile missing issue. I’ve tried every solution I could find on the forum and nothing works, tried rescanning multiple times with recommended settings from the guide but always the same issue. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Negative Lab Pro, Lightroom and VueScan to try and fix the issue but it persists.

I am on macOS Monterey version 12.1. latest version of Lightroom classic, VueScan and negative lab pro

Looks like the two files are slightly different.

Do you have exiftool or a hex editor? If yes, you could have a look at the file’s metadata and see what differences might exist. If no, share the two files and I’ll check them for you.

Hi,

If you wanted to share the two files with me at nate@natephotographic.com, I could take a look.

Some possible culprits would be:

• If one was scanned as a 64bit (instead of 48bit), then the profiles would not work on the 64 bit DNG. This is because the profiles in Lightroom are meant to work on 3 channel DNGs (16 bits in Red, Green, and Blue channels for 48bit total). The profiles will not work on one channel (monochrome) DNGs or 4 channel DNGS (RGB + infrared).
  • If they are from different scanners, then it is possible that you have the profile for one of the scanners and not the other.
  • If one was processed through “File > Plugin Extras > Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” and the other wasn’t.
  • If they were captured at different times with different versions of Vuescan, it’s possible that Vuescan changed the metadata they are using for the scanner.

-Nate

They were both from the same scanner same settings, but I figured out that if I use“File > Plugin Extras > Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” and restart Lightroom the profiles are fine but if I go straight to the develop tab after updating VueScan DNG the profile missing warning always shows up even after restarting Lightroom.

So if anyone is experiencing this issue try “File > Plugin Extras > Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” and then restart Lightroom, do not go into develop tab before restarting Lightroom. hopefully that works for others.

Even if this worked for others too, it would not necessarily explain why the profile appears with one file and not with the other.

Finding the source of an issue is better than having a workaround and I’d send the files to @nate for him to a) find the reason for the discrepancy, b) fix his software if possible and c) update the guide with respective instructions if needed…