Saving processed images-newbie question

Very new to NLP, longtime Lightroom user. I hope this is clear 8)
After I process images in NLP and I want to save them, what is the process? If I export out of lightroom I get the negative scans plus an xmp file–not a positive image.
In order for someone else to view a processed image, must I “save copy” from NLP and are the only two options TIFF and JPG, ie, I cannot save as a RAW file?
Put in a slightly different way: Does NLP only serve as an adjunct to LR and not an end image producer on its own unless that end image is a TIFF or jpg?

TIA
John

As far as I know you must export as DNG/TIFF/JPEG to get positive file.
Conversion from neg to pos happens in Lightroom back-end.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by “happening on the back end in Lightroom?”
It looks to me that it - the save - only happens in NLP and only when you “make copy.”

There are two ways to get a positive image:

1. Tell NLP to make a copy and select format and options (see pink frame in screenshot below)
  2. Export with Lightroom as JPEG or TIFF (export as DNG produces a negative)

I have not used “make copy” yet, I export separately after some X amount of negs have been processed.

So, what I have been doing, and this is subject to change if there is a better way…-
1-crop to get WB,

2-crop to image only
3-convert
4-make copy to tiff
5 edit in LR and or PS

I tried using the sliders in NLP, but I am accustomed to the usage in LR, so I will edit a tiff there. I was concerned the Tiff files would be HUGE, but they are not that bad.
The Tiffs I get out of the v800 epson, medium format color 48 bit color 4800 dpi are pushing 500 mb, while the ones from my camera (d810), after NLP, copied as tiff are under 100 mb.
I’ve compared the two side by side and there is not much of a difference.
So, I think I will be using NLP as a means to an end, ie, basic conversion of negative, and then doing the rest of the edit in Adobe.
Does that sound reasonable as a workflow?

It sounds like it enables you to do the things you want, therefore it is your perfect workflow :+1:

Thanks…being new I didn’t want to miss something of obvious benefit.

one additional question, please.
The youtube videos I’ve seen have a couple of check boxes that are absent on my version, namely “auto color” and “auto density.” Those are absent on the most recent edition of NLP, correct?

The current version of NLP has a slightly different GUI than its predecessor. We now have many options that help us get the results we like by selecting parameters both before and after conversion.

In order to find out what sliders and drop-downs do, I’ve varied parameters using virtual copies of an image. This helped me find the settings I need. Due to many reasons like emulsion, age, exposure, development, film brand etc., these settings cannot be used on all negatives with equal amount of success. Nevertheless, they provide a starting point from which you go on as you mentioned above.

Ok, thanks…I figured that. Thanks for the quick responses. Nice bit of software!
John