Seeking solutions: Handling 64bit RGBi DNG files post-scan

I’ve encountered an issue with my recent batch of scans and would greatly appreciate some guidance from this knowledgeable community.

I used VueScan and a Nikon LS9000 to scan several rolls of film. However, I mistakenly output the scans as 64bit RGBi DNG files. Now, I’m facing the ‘missing profile’ issue in Lightroom with over 100 images. I’m aware that the preferable format would have been 48bit RGB. Unfortunately, I realized this only after completing the scanning process.

My Questions:

• What are the potential drawbacks or challenges of working with images that have a missing profile in Lightroom?
  • Is it advisable to simply change the profile to ‘Color’? If so, would this have any negative impact on my results?
  • Is there an efficient method for converting the 64bit RGBi files to 48bit RGB files?

I’m looking to find the best way to handle this situation without having to rescan all the images. Any advice, tips, or general reflections on how best to proceed would be immensely helpful.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!

depending on your OS, there are different tools that you can use to separate the RGB file from the IR channel.
The easiest solution is to simply use Vuescan to reopen these raw files and output them again. Simply select “Scan from file”(or something to that effect) as the input source and then save them as RGB DNGs. The RGB data will remain the same, but they should be recognized by NLP

2 Likes

Thank you @mightimatti for your suggestion. This solution works perfectly and has saved me from many hours of rescanning the same images.

1 Like