SOLVED: Synced images not displaying correctly on LR CC Mobile and Shared Libraries

I can’t seem to get this solved,

I’ve copied the profiles using LrCC and the files have to correct profiles in LrC LrCC and Lr-mobile. However, they only appear correctly in mobile after switching to “edit” mode in the mobile version (See figure below)

I tried resyncing the images, rebuilding the previews and the smart previews (don’t really know what they are, but thats another topic), but the problem stays. I’ve added new files after syncing the profiles and they behave the same way as the ones that were synced before.

It’s not a major issue, since I do get the correct image ultimately, but the grid view looks awful and I would like to solve this eventually. Any ideas are welcome.

P.S. note that my profiles say NLP v2.0 while yours seem to say NLP v2.1. I’m using NLP version 2.1.2 so I don’t know what’s going on there.

Hey guys! I have the same issue as Jann. I have the latest version of NLP, but for some reason the latest profile does not synchronise with the Adobe Cloud. Images show correctly in LR (non classic) desktop client after import of latest profile but on iPad and iPhone only the NLP v2.0 is available even after days of waiting for it to sync. The NLP v2.1 does not make it to cloud. Any clue why this is happening? Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m having a similar issue to @Blaise and @jann. I’ve imported the profiles to Lightroom CC and now the images are correct there. On the ios and iPad apps the profiles are loaded but the image is blue until I switch to edit mode (and even then it reverts back to blue).

On the web version I still get an error message saying “The profile is missing”. I’m 99% sure this is an Adobe issue but I figured I’d post here to see if anyone has discovered a workaround.

A few other sources have suggested deleting the entire sync’d library (that was nerve-wracking) and resyncing but that didn’t fix this issue.

Just to pile on, I’m seeing the same thing. Images look fine in Lightroom CC but on Mobile or Web images look like they’re missing profile in grid view, loupe view, and in the film strip. If I go to edit, the image looks as I expect, but then reverts if I leave edit.

1 Like

@orutherfurd @Blaise @jann I spent a few hours trying to research and debug again but it appears this is an old issue that Adobe hasn’t fixed. There seems to be various posts complaining about it from about 2018 onward.

I was hoping @nate might have some ideas since he is a wizard with lightroom but I think this is a bug on Adobe’s part :frowning: so there probably isn’t much he can do.

1 Like

There is an Adobe thread about the issue, add your voices there so that Adobe might take action:

Let’s hope for a solution!

@Blaise, @jann, @orutherfurd, @nate I can’t tell if this is something adobe fixed but everything is now working for me.

Here’s what changed on my end since the last message:

• I did a clean install/upgrade to Big Sur on my macbook pro 2019 (not for this feature, I just wanted to upgrade my os)
  • I had deleted the entire cloud synced portion of my library prior to this upgrade
  • For the dng negatives that I chose to sync, I had already converted them with NLP. I selected “Metadata -> Update DNG Previews & Metadata” prior to sync as well
  • I followed the instructions for importing Profiles & Presets in Lightroom CC as well

I forgot to import the profiles at first but the images appeared in their positive form (maybe due to me updating the dng preview) on lightroom cc (mac desktop app), lightroom.adobe.com, the lightroom iphone app, and the lightroom ipad app. They only had the NLP profile used by the image though (in addition to the default adobe ones).

Here’s what currently works:

• Desktop lightroom cc, lightroom.adobe.com, the ipad app, and the iphone apps all show the correct preview and have all profiles and presets available when I’ve updated the dng preview and metadata within lightroom classic
  • The above apps show strange looking previews when I haven’t updated the dng preview and metadata on a converted image. When I click on the picture it shows the converted version, however. The profiles and presets are all there as well.

I’m going to try syncing an image that hasn’t been converted yet to see if the conversion is eventually reflected in the various cloud versions of lightroom.

I suspect this is working due to either an update by adobe or the clean installation of my various lightroom installs. Adobe’s apps don’t appear to have recent updates (although it could be on the cloud backend) so if it doesn’t work this time around you might try uninstalling lightroom, camera raw, etc (and removing their various folders) for a clean reinstall (make sure to backup).

Anyway, hope this helps!

For NLP converted DNG’s that have not had their dng preview updated but have been synced:

• “Metadata -> Update DNG Preview & Metadata” followed by “Metadata -> Read Metadata from file” seemed to force a smart preview and cloud sync update

Brilliant!!! That makes perfect sense. I’m assuming that you are only working with DNG files (i.e. not work with NEF / CR2 / RAF files from digital cameras)?

I was just trying to do this with a RAF file from my Fuji XT2 and that menu item was greyed out…

Yeah only DNG on my end. The sync update is still somewhat clunky still. It seems to also hang on updating synced photo metadata often.

Hi @nate and all, I have been watching this thread for a while as the problem is indeed quite annoying for people using a mixed LRCC mobile/classic workflow.
My workaround so far has been doing NLP positive JPEG exports to use as main artifacts for cataloging in projects/events albums and putting all RAWs in a separate (synced) collection. This is not unlike storing negatives (film) separate from positives (prints), but increases the required LRCC storage and is different from my digital workflow in the same LRCC account.

I just tried the suggested above conversion to DNG with one of my photos and it worked: the broken with RAW previews got fixed after the DNG sync automatically in LRCC mobile, I didn’t even have to trigger manual metadata update.
Now I’m wondering whether I should just switch to converting all my RAW “negatives” to DNG as it would apparently solve the problem and I can ditch the JPEG workaround. I never worked with DNG though and I don’t want to lock myself into adobe proprietary format.
@jst do you use DNG as a primary format for your digital scans?
@nate would you recommend this approach and what are your thoughts on its future stability? I.e. that it wouldn’t break similarly how RAW previews are currently broken. Similarly, any chance you see the RAW previews issue will be fixed and one day we’ll be just able to regenerate previews in LR and voilà?

DNG is a great format for archiving, since the DNG specification is a publicly available and documented (unlike proprietary raw formats made by camera manufacturers). It’s supported natively by a lot of big players, included Apple. So I have full confidence in the future stability of DNG.

My process right now is using “Enhance Details” on my RAW photos as soon as I import them, which creates an enhanced DNG (and then I delete the original .RAF files). And then I use NLP to convert those DNGs.

Just be aware: If you have original RAW files in non-DNG format, and then convert to DNG format, the metadata from the Negative Lab Pro conversion will NOT come over initially (so the DNG will be converted, but if you open Negative Lab Pro on the new DNG, it will think it hasn’t been converted yet, and will try to make you convert it again). You can get around this by using the “sync scene” feature to sync the new DNG with the original conversion, and then you will be able to further edit the DNG in Negative Lab Pro. This can be a bit of a pain to do, which is why I convert to DNG first.

It’s hard to predict if Lightroom will break this in the future somehow, but it makes sense to me that the DNG previews should continue to work.

After having synchronized the Negative Lab Profile, the images were still dark on my Ligthroom WEB.

The workarround I found to reupdate the image is to open each image in Ligthroom WEB and rotate it 4 times and closed the image modification

Now my images are well

Sorry, but the solution proposed is not working.

I spent half-day with Adobe Support to show the problem.

On Lightroom WEB, the Profile is known.
But the Profile is not applied during import/update (Sync) from Lightroom Classic or Lightroom to Lightroom WEB (Mobile).

As soon as you do any modification in lightroom WEB, the profile is automatically applied. (For example, you can crop the image). So the render is correct.

But when you do again a modification on Lightroom Classic or Lightroom, the sync is done and the image on Lightroom WEB has again a wrong render (Profile not applied) until you will again do a modification in Lightroom WEB.

Hi @RGT1973

Just saw you posted this here too, so just want to include my comment on this here as well!

Thank you for getting Adobe to open an official issue.

There are really two issues here.

First, it’s the need to involve Lightroom (instead of Lightroom Classic) to get the profile over to mobile and web Lightroom. It would be great if Lightroom Classic itself synced over the profiles. The other article you linked to shows how to get around the issue of getting the profiles over to Lightroom WEB and Lightroom Mobile by using Lightroom itself to sync (instead of Lightroom Classic). Ideally, Adobe would fix this and just have Lightroom Classic sync the profiles as you would expect.

The second issue is the one you bring up… that even if the profiles are correctly there, Lightroom Web and Lightroom Mobile do not necessarily include the profile in their rendering engine until you begin to work on it, and it seems to not apply the profile all the time.

This is not an issue that is unique to Negative Lab Pro, and will happen with all custom profiles. It may be more noticeable with Negative Lab Pro profiles because they are linear profiles, and thus quite different from standard profiles.

You may have better success if you use DNG files, and go to “Photo > Update DNG Preview and Metadata” prior to syncing. I suspect that Lightroom Web and Lightroom Mobile are trying to “cheat” a bit to make rendering show up faster, and that the previews you see are based on the embedded previews in the files themselves (rather than a true RAW rendering, which would be more processor intensive).

-Nate

I also got the profile missing error in Lightroom Mobile and poor looking photos as a result. What worked for me is: metadata > update DNG previews and metadata in the desktop application. After syncing the profile error was gone and the photos rendered perfectly in the mobile app.

The workaround with updating DNG previews works, and it’s what I currently do, but it requires converting the RAW files to DNG in the first place. If you want to preserve original RAW file (I do) it doubles the file size eating both disk space and CC storage.

As Nate mentioned earlier, it’s a LR issue and NLP. I have the same problem with custom profiles and it doesn’t seem that LR is planning to fix it :confused:

I’m having the same problem. All good in Lightroom Classic. But LR CC wasn’t using the profiles. So, based on feedback here, I imported the NLP profiles into CC. That seems to be working. But I can’t get anything to look right if I “share” an album, or if I try to use Lightroom Mobile (on iPad). Both don’t get the profile.

I’ve tried turning off sync, creating smart previews, removing the images from the Adobe cloud, and then sharing again, but none of this seems to have any effect. Reading through this thread I’m not seeing a solution – but maybe I’ve missed something.

Sharing images that weren’t touched by NLP is super-slick and fast. But with NLP material, I think I’m going to have to find some workaround. Creating DNGs on everything I want to share seems pretty unwieldy.

For sharing purposes, I’d not use anything but JPEG files with sRGB profile or possibly TIFF. Everything RAW has too much room for interpretation by the viewer’s app…

I share DSLR RAW images all the time. It’s the ones using a non-Adobe profile that are trouble. I’ve got it working in LRCC (by importing the profiles), but mobile and web are not getting the message. Sometimes images will render correctly, sometimes they won’t. No logic to it. But again, it’s only images with a non-Adobe profile. It’s all very transparent and easy with a standard profile. Adobe makes the previews and gets them out there. Making JPEGs for sharing would be a much more cumbersome process.