Sony A73 or A7R4 for scanning

I’ve just started scanning my 645 and 35mm negatives and I’m getting good results with Negative Lab Pro. I have both Sony bodies mentioned in the title, combined with the FE 90mm f2.8 Macro G lens and was wondering about the pro’s and cons of 24mp vs 61mp. Can the A73 capture all the detail or should I use the A7R4 with the large increase in file sizes.

According to DxO Mark lens measurements, the lens you use can resolve more than the 24 Mpix of the A7.3. I’d try to compare results that you get with both cameras and decide based on what you see.

Thanks I’ll have an experiment

I’m very curious and I’d love to hear about the Sony A7R4, I do have a fuji XT3 and I feel that some 35mm negs could deliver more detail so I guess with medium format could even more, also I don’t really love the stitching idea:

• How about it, crazy happy with it?
  • How is a fine grain 35mm film looking at 61mp… and a 120?
  • Is pixel shift worth it on a 120 film?
  • How about the whole pixel shift procedure, is it nuts or could be frustrating?

Thanks!

M

Hi,

I’ve used the A7R4 to scan 120 negs and its produces tremendous detail and fine grain, I feel its overkill for 35mm though and have been using my A73 for these. I’ve not tried pixel shift as I’m not sure it would resolve any more detail and I’ve heard it can be a right pain as you need a completely still platform.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Sony A73 is more than needed for 35mm, but 6x6+ is different story - for that I think A7R3 or R4 is better. (But I don’t have measured results to comment on that to loudly).
Sony A73 resolves around 3500dpi with Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro, tested to Golden Thread solutions.
Hopefully soon I can get my hands on for Sony A7R4 for testing also.

http://www.imagescienceassociates.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PRODUCTS&Store_Code=ISA001

What is the actually resolution of film?

I’ve read a comment at a different site that considers 35mm film resolution to be around 6 Mpix, and that the 24 Mpix sensor of the a73 more than enough for scanning film.

I image that different film types and characteristics such as, Color, B&W, grain type and size and dyes, would effect that film’s resolution. Low ISO film such as 100 should have a higher resolution than an 800 ISO film. If this is close to accurate you still need to consider how much you are enlarging that 35mm scan, and how more Mpix would be needed to support the digital manipulation and final enlargement. So even if the A73 sounds like overkill, maybe it’s a good start and having more Mpix from an A7r3 would allow more computer work and enlargement.

Does anyone have the technical experience that could confirm or deny this?

Thanks
FW

It all depends on what your target is…

1. have a digital copy of the film with every grain and scratch
  2. create a print of a certain size

I’d go for stitching in case 1 rather than to buy yet another body that will be obsolete in a few years…or go all-in with a 100 Megapixel Fuji.

As for case 2, you can check out a good printing service and see what you need for whatever size print they offer. 24 Mpixel can go a long way, double the print size and you’ll need 100 Mpixel source material :man_shrugging: