Underexposed / Nighttime Negative Help

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for some tips on an issue I’m having. I am still relatively new to film photography and have troubles nailing my exposure at times, along with working on some nighttime shots. I have been getting orange overflow along the borders of my images, however I do my scans in complete darkness and have a black construction paper mask to block the extra light from my light source.

I normally set my dslr to +1 exposure compensation, but I am finding that removing that helps get rid of the orange overflow.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things I can do to help improve this or if I am missing some step in the process that is causing the orange glow. My setup and an example image are below.

Any help is appreciated thanks!

Here is my setup:
Fuji XT20 - Laowa 65mm f2.8 Macro set to f/8
Copy Stand
RALENO LED
Negative Supply 35mm Mrk 1

Can’t see any on your example screenshot… The conversion looks fine to me.
Are you concerned about the orange rings around the streetlights?

Do you can kind of see it between these two scans. Looking at the top right tree branch, and along the left side of the image. It’s not supposed to have that orange glow, and in this second image you can kind of see how the branch is missing some of orange glow.

Hmm, it’s visible now (forum images are usually less pronounced than an image on the screen) and I’d probably try to eliminate the glow by a radial mask/correction. Maybe you can use the same correction for every image, if the glow is caused by your setup.

How even is the light from your light source? If you changed the orientation of the negative, would the ‘orange flow’ stay in the same spot?

How do your negatives look - I imagine pretty thin if exposed at night.

I know exactly what this is. It’s the vignetting of the lens. When inverted it brightens the edges. It’s visible in very dark images.
You solve it by applying the flat field correction in Lightroom.
You need to photograph one image of the light source before or after your session. Then in library find the flat field correction tool and process. It turns all your images to dng, after that you can process as normal.

Have you seen any good guides on this I’d be interesting in trying but I’ve never done it before.

I believe the light source is very even, I have used different parts of the light along with 120 6x7 negatives and don’t see any issues with the light source. The issue only pops up when the image has dark edges.

Negatives are pretty thin just because a lot of the space is inherently dark from it being night time.

Would changing my exposure effect the vignetting? I’d assume the vignetting would be the same regardless of exposure.

What does help is the f stop. Usually f8 is good. Finding a good tutorial has been quite hard but I found this one:

It will fix all your problems.

@RHenv it seems like it did help a bit, thoughts on the result? I’m also including the blank shot I used for the correction the lens really doesn’t seem to have any vignetting. I’m wondering if maybe the light source I’m using is causing some of the issue as well.

If you adjust the contrast on the correction image you can see how much vignetting you actually have. Adjust the curve left and right and keep only the Center part. It’s probably a lot more vignetting than you think. It will show up in very dark images. Bonus is you will also see how much sensor dust you have.
But yes, everything else has to be perfect, flat field correction would be the last thing to try.

So I cranked the contrast and it does still seem that the vignetting is pretty low (attached a photo below). I also am seeing some weirdness on the left side of the image, does this look like the same as the vignetting or something different? It seems to be persisting after the flat field correction.