Updating all software for NLP

so the main reason i’m considering doing digital camera scanning is because the pro lab i use is underdeveloping my tmax 3200, and the 2nd pro lab charges more, and is further away, which all just makes it not worth paying for dev and scan.

so if i decide to process myself, it means i need to scan myself, full rolls, 2-4 rolls a week.
i know i can just stick with b&w, but it’s tempting to just scan color myself too if i’m gonna set something up.

the problem is, NLP requires Lr 6 or classic, which requires updating macOS from el capitan, which might mean updating all the adobe CS6 suite, which never seems fun for interrupting workflow and saved workspaces.

anyway, what do you think i have an early 2013 macbook pro that seems to be working fine with el capitan and CS6, if i update to a later OS, and later adobe software, will i have issues? will workspaces be transferred ok?

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.24.48 PM

thanks.

You can check your APP versions vs. OS versions here: https://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx
Be aware that your mileage might vary…

I’ve been working on a 2012 iMac with macOS High Sierra until a few months ago. Now, I’m on a 2019 iMac (all ssd) with macOS Mojave. It runs nicely with Lightroom classic (photo plan) and NLP version 2.

My decision to upgrade my hardware and software was driven by the following considerations

  1. I wanted to be able to have a version of OS that still gets (security) updates
  2. I did NOT want to have APFS on my hard disk drives
  3. I wanted to be able to run current software releases

The toughest bullet to bite was to go for Adobe’s subscription scheme, which I did about 2 years ago. I never regretted it so far. Note that I only really want Lightroom and that getting Photoshop is a nice bonus. Going for a full CC subscription is a higher hurdle though.

thanks, that site is handy.

seems like CS6 and Lr classic works with high sierra or mojave. while even current adobe CC has issues with catalina.

any big differences between mojave and sierra for an early 2013 machine?

My reason to go to Mojave instead of Catalina was that Mojave has been out for a while and is still tolerant towards 32 bit apps. On a Mac with HDD (instead of SSD), I’d probably stick to High Sierra to circumvent APFS which seems to be optimized for SSDs.

You might find more interesting info here: https://macperformanceguide.com/autoTopic.html?dglyTP=Apple+macOS

gotcha thanks, my MBP has SSD, but my portable and external drives are HDD