Wet scanning Epson V850 Pro + Silverfast + NLP + iSRD

I am thinking to try wet scanning 120 mm film (color and B/W) on my Epson V850 Pro flatbedscanner.with the Epson Fluid Mount.
I would like to use iSRD dust scratch removal as well and NLP.
Has anyone tried this? Will NLP work fine with a wet scan?

So in Silverfast Ai Studio i have to set the settings Positive, 48 bit HDR, iSRD, Gamma 1.0, no ICC profile right?
iSRD won’t work with B/W film right?

I am still waiting for my Mylar sheets and Gamsol fluid before i can test this. Hope it won’t damage the negatives.

Thanks for any advice.

Black & White Scanning - LaserSoft Imaging is about b&w scanning and scratch removal.

Wet mounting should increase the quality of the scan, but not alter the result in a way that changes what NegativeLab can do. You’ll find out whether the difference is big enough to be worth the additional effort with wet mounting 120 film. I propose that you scan a few shots dry first and then wet mounted and then evaluate the difference in handling vs quality.

The mounting fluid should not damage the film. Be sure to read the instructions on how to use the fluid and on how to treat the film while it is wet - and don’t use your best negatives for testing.

Thanks for your help. I haven’t started yet, since i am struggling with calibrating the scanner.

I know this is not the forum to ask support for this (sorry!), but it seems Silverfast forum has been dead since 2019. Every post i sent is ignored.

If anyone also has an Epson V850 Pro with the X-rite i1 color calibration cards, could you please tell me how i should calibrate my scanner? I miss any instructions in the box and don’t seem to find any clear and up to date complete info on youtube/internet.

I am using Windows 10 and Silverfast 9 AI Studio.

As i understand i need to calibrate the scanner to get accurate colors from the scan. I don’t intend to print any scan but would like the scanner to have correct colors.
With my Epson V850 Pro came a transparent color card and a reflective color card.

I can calibrate it using the X-rite i1Profiler software or within Silverfast AI Studio, right?

What i did was following for calibrating transparent profile (i am not sure if this is the right way):

1. In Windows 10 disable all color management profiles in my graphics card for my LCD’s

Then i tried following:

i1PROFILER METHOD:

2a) Using Silverfast 9 AI Studio, did a software reset, set to transparent glass, positive, 48bit, 300ppi, disable USM sharpening. Crop and scan the image as TIF.

Q: Before scanning the TIF did i had to change some Silverfast preferences or not? I set the color management to None, but kept the colorspace as AdobeRGB 1998. Should the embedded icm be turned off?

2b) Next fire up i1Profiler, choosing scanner profiling, picked transparent 5x7, load in the scanned TIF, choose the Monaco reference file (updated with reference files from x-rite site) and i got an .icm profile file as result.

Q: in the reference files there was also some LaserSoft reference files. Should i have chosen these? The color card mentions Monaco.2021.03 something so i picked the according reference txt file.

Q Am i suppose to set this icm profile in Silverfast AI Studio Preferences whenever i am scanning negative film?

SILVERFAST METHOD

3a) Using Silverfast 9 AI Studio, did a software reset, set to transparent glass, positive, 48bit, 300ppi, TIF, disable USM sharpening. Choose IT8 from the sidebar. Then it asks for the reference file txt, picked the Monaco.2021.03.txt and its done.

Q: Prior this action should there be Preferences settings modified? When selecting the reference file should Auto IT8 be checked on this dialogbox?

At the end i got for every used method an .icm profile but the delta color deviations are within limits but differs entirely; i1Profiler gave all less than 1 and Silverfast gave 1.6 ???

Afterwards i turned back on the color management profiles for my graphics card in Windows 10.

What is the right way to calibrate the Epson V850 Pro scanner?
Which method should i have chosen?
Do i need to calibrate when i only scan negatives and photos without printing?

If i know how the transparent calibration is done, then i can do it for the reflective in the same way.

Hope someone can give some instructions of the correct way to calibrate… Thanks.

Last but not least, when scanning in Silverfast should gamma be set to 1.0 or 2.2 for Negative Lab Pro?
Also, while the scans are in AdobeRGB colorspace, Lightroom uses and recommends ProPhoto RGB. Should this not set to match AdobeRGB in Lightroom?

Never mind my calibration questions… I think i figured it out. I was confused with my LCD profile and the scanner profiling.

What i did now is, leaving my LCD color management profile untouched and just applied the Silverfast method to the i1 Scanner reflective and transparent color reference cards. Did not need to change the Preferences CMS tab prior to calibration (according to Silverfast).

When i scan negatives or reflectives i do have to double check that the CMS is set to the right calibrated ICC profile.and colorspace is set to AdobeRGB.

Tried it with Gamsol and its giving less dust. No side effects. Transitions in pixel are smoothing and better contrast. Looks good, not sure if it was worth it but finished it all for my few 6x6 medium format. :slight_smile: