An internal error has occured: ?:0: attempt to index a nil value

I keep getting this error when I try to convert, i’ve posted about this before and had no replies, its been a few months and im sitting here with a plugin that doesn’t work.

Please can this be looked in to.

Hi, have you tried installing the latest version (v2.2) and seeing if that resolves your issue?

I have tried that.

After updating it did not work still, i then decided to try uninstalling and re-installing lightroom with no luck.

In LR, can you go to “File > Plugin Manager” and in the Negative Lab Pro window, scroll down to the bottom and take a screenshot of the whole thing, where it shows the version, location, and status?

Also, can you let me know at what point in the process this message pops up? A video would be awesome, but a detailed description will help.

Finally, can you share details about your system and setup? If you go to “Help > System Info”, just got and paste that first section, from the top to the “Installed Plugins” section.

-Nate

Hi Nate,

Here is a screenshot of version, location and status .

Here is a video of the process of the error occurrence

and here is my system info - Thank you in advance for looking in to this.

Lightroom Classic version: 9.4 [ 202008061458-dbb2971e ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.18363
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 24
Processor speed: 3.7 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 32685.5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32685.5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1314.1 MB (4.0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2955.2 MB
GDI objects count: 632
USER objects count: 1919
Process handles count: 1593
Memory cache size: 11.8MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.4 [ 555 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 357MB / 16342MB (2%)
Camera Raw real memory: 363MB / 32685MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (27.21.14.5655)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: C:\Users\Adrian Eariss\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Adrian Eariss\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1. AdobeStock
  2. Facebook
  3. Flickr
  4. Negative Lab Pro
  5. Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Ok, thank you!

Per your screenshot, it looks like you have tried to install it from “C:\Program Files\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Modules\NegativeLabPro.plugin”

It will not work if it is in that directory!!!

(I try to make this clear in the installation instructions for windows… the safest place to put it is in a directory you create directly on the root of your main hard drive, for instance “C:\Plugins” - I know other plugins work while in that program files “modules” directory, but Negative Lab Pro requires more file permission that other plugins to run the image analysis, so it just won’t work where you have placed it).

You need to:

1. Move the plugin itself to C:\Plugins (or another directory you create on your root drive)
  2. Go into plugin manager, remove the current installation, then add from the new directory.

-Nate

I’ve tried moving it to the root of C:\ , i’ve tried putting it in to documents and i’ts still saying the same error :frowning:

1 Like

Not only do you need to move the plugin, but then you need to go into the plugin manager and remove the old location, and add from the new location. If it’s still linking to the old location it will not work. Try that with the new version (2.2).

I did this several times, making sure to remove the old location and adding from the new location.

It still says the same error even when the locatio path is pointing towards the folder in \documents

This is on version 2.2

Ok, for any future troubleshooting, make sure that this is the case, because it absolutely will not work if it is pointing to the directory you had it in in your example.

Some other things worth trying:

• Fully reset your Lightroom preferences. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ - you will then need to re-add NLP in the plugin manager.
  • Check and see if you have any sort of antivirus running, like BitDefender. If you do, turn them off. They can silently cause the image analysis to fail.
  • There was one case where I tried pretty much everything with a user, and in the end, they reformatted their computer, installed LR Classic, downloaded a fresh install of NLP, and it worked perfectly… so they had some sort of internal issue or conflict that we were never able to figure out, but it was resolved with a reset.
1 Like

Hey man! I had the exact same problem and i’ve tried all these solutions with no luck either. What worked for me was to create a whole NEW USER on my computer, and install lightroom and negative lab on this NEW USER. It worked like a charm. I hope it works for you aswell. Cheers

1 Like

Hello, by any chance would you know how to fix an error code that states:

An internal error has occured: ?:0: Table index is NaN

I’ve got a windows an xps 15 2020 to be exact w/i7 10th gen Intel core

Hello Nate,

I was having the “?:0: table index is NaN” error after successfully using the program for several months with medium format film. I used it this afternoon and it worked well on 110 film. I started scanning 35mm and things went downhill.
I followed your instructions listed previously. Re-installed the V.2.3.0 program and followed the Mac instructions.
The error was still coming up. I attempted to do some trouble shooting and this is what I found.

I scanned one 35mm neg twice. Both with an Epson scanner using Silverfast, 2400ppi.
NLP settings: Tiff scan, Basic, Default, 5%
Test image 1 used 48 Bit HDR RAW
Test image 2 used 48-28 Bit

Both uploaded into Lightroom Classic V10
Test image 1 opens up dark in Lightroom and the error pops up when attempting NLP.
Test image 2 works fine.

I raised the exposure +1.00 in LR and tried NLP again. The negative did not become a positive.
I kept trying different exposure tests and the neg changed to a positive after going to exposure +2.50.
The error does not pop up after this change. However, the image looks horrible.

It seems like NLP is not able to read the dark image. Also, it seems to be having a problem converting HDR RAW images.

I’ll keep messing around with it and hopefully something works out.

Please let me know if this is a known issue and if you have a fix.

Thank you for your time,
Frank

What is the Epson scanner model?

So test image 1 is a DNG file, and test image 2 is a TIFF file, is that correct? And the TIFF file seems to convert OK, but there are issues with the DNG file?

Could you email that DNG file to me at nate@natephotographic.com and I will see if it converts for me?

The Silverfast DNG files are a bit tricky, since Silverfast is pretty sloppy with how it assigns metadata. You may need to run the “file > plugin extras > Update Vuescan/Silverfast DNG” utility in order to make sure the metadata is correct. You will then want to make sure that it correctly shows the camera profile as “Negative Lab v2.3” with no errors.

But if you send me the DNG I can see if I can recreate the same errors on my end.

Thanks!
-Nate

First time posting a Q here. Up to now, been sailing along with not any issues. I am importing B+W 35mm negs into LrC version 13.1 by DSLR scan. I believe, I am working off the current version of NLPro. The scans are imported and converted without any issues. When I attempt to edit - normally in Negative Lab Pro B+W (sometimes in the Selenium #2 profile) with Linear Gamma, all goes well until I attempt to use Lab Fade. Then I get an “Internal Error has occurred. ? 0 attempt to Index field ‘?’ (a nil value)” This freezes the screen even if I press OK and my only option is close out of LrC and log back in. Generally, I don’t touch Lab Fade again.and just select Apply. I then work on the copy in LRC/Develop to finish the edits. All this has just start in the last couple of weeks. Any advice would be appreciated. I am probably a solid “C” student with the LrC and Neg Lab Pro software; so, I can’t get too tech heavy in solutions. Best Regards,
Bob

Yeah, there’s a bug related to the “vintage toning” option which some of the black and white presets use. Basically it is trying to set a point that doesn’t exist, but it really depends on the photo itself, so it doesn’t always pop up. Will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks Nate. Kind of you to take the time to let me know. I have found that working with the L and R arrow keys allow you to be more stealthy and sneak up one the value you want - quite a bit of the time.