Let's see your DSLR film scanning setup!

I’ve designed and 3d printed a film digitization system to use my Canon EOS 5DsR and Sigma 150mm macro lens to digitize up to 4"x5" film. 35mm, 35mm slide and medium format are digitized using the below system, and 4"X5" is done with a similar system on its own camera slider rail (as 4"x5" needed a different illumination system).

The light source, diffusers and slot to take the film carriers are fixed to the focusing rail, but the camera can shift position to accommodate different film sizes. The camera is kept parallel using a 3d printed block below the lens hood, forcing the camera to always be centred on the film.

The system below uses a 160 LED light source which is double diffused (I used strobe for 4"x5"), and magnetized film carriers (a 35mm full-frame carrier, and 645 carrier both provide the option for full-frame digitization with rebate border, and I also will be printing carriers for 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 as I need them). I use a Lomography Digitaliza sytem to hold 6x12 film. Using the system I have been digitizing about 150 35mm images an hour, or 90 35mm slides (slower to load, and more adjustment to exposure). With the 4x5 system, I could do about 50 an hour.

2 Likes