Let's see your DSLR film scanning setup!

Bummer. Sorry to hear this.

I might have to go back to the Nikon ES-1 Slide Copying Adapter with step up rings.
Back to the drawing board…

Another idea… You need more distance from the film plane to the slide. Add a PK-13 between camera body and the bellows? I think I had to do this with one of the lenses I tried on my different Nikon bellows. Will it be enough? Approx check: you’ll need about 300mm between slide and the film plane (150mm film plane to lens, and about same for lens to slide).

Brilliant idea! I will have to purchase a PK-13 extender. I think I had one but I can’t find it.
I am looking for one right now on eBay.

I’ll let you know when I get it.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a BESELER NEGATRANS as well but I have my doubts if the negative is flat 100%…what’s your experience with it ?

For 100% flat film, you need something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFbHt0y6R_Q

1 Like

I have tested the Negatrans. While convenient, it does NOT keep film as flat as other solutions. If you are going to use this, test and stop down for more DOF.

I’ve designed and 3d printed a film digitization system to use my Canon EOS 5DsR and Sigma 150mm macro lens to digitize up to 4"x5" film. 35mm, 35mm slide and medium format are digitized using the below system, and 4"X5" is done with a similar system on its own camera slider rail (as 4"x5" needed a different illumination system).

The light source, diffusers and slot to take the film carriers are fixed to the focusing rail, but the camera can shift position to accommodate different film sizes. The camera is kept parallel using a 3d printed block below the lens hood, forcing the camera to always be centred on the film.

The system below uses a 160 LED light source which is double diffused (I used strobe for 4"x5"), and magnetized film carriers (a 35mm full-frame carrier, and 645 carrier both provide the option for full-frame digitization with rebate border, and I also will be printing carriers for 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 as I need them). I use a Lomography Digitaliza sytem to hold 6x12 film. Using the system I have been digitizing about 150 35mm images an hour, or 90 35mm slides (slower to load, and more adjustment to exposure). With the 4x5 system, I could do about 50 an hour.

2 Likes

Looking nice!
Have you tested other full frame Canons compared to sR?

I used to camera scan with a 5D MKII, and the 5DsR absolutely out performs it…though with 35mm the difference is negligible, due to the limited information of the originals. For medium format and 4"x5", the 50mp vs 21mp is a huge improvement.

2 Likes

Hey,

Had a question for you on your setup, how did you connect the tripod head to your 8020 vertical beam? I’ve considered using a Manfrotto super clamp but my concern is that I’ll have issues leveling everything. Did you just screw the tripod head directly to the aluminum beam? If so was there specific 8020 hardware you used to fit in the channel?

I’m working on a copy stand design similar to yours out of 8020, that’s reminiscent of Negative Supply’s stand and have been trying to workout any blind spots I have in the process.

Any input would be awesome! Thanks!

slightly different take here, my lego rig! works with 35mm and 120. i use a regular tripod with a canon 7d/tokina 100mm pointing straight down

Nanlite LumiPad 11 + sheet of dura-lar.

12 Likes

A pretty “no-frills” setup compared to many, but I’m very happy with how it works, coming from an Epson V550 before this. A big thank you to everyone for sharing their setups and advice as inspiration and to help me in crafting my own!

Camera: Canon EOS 70D (on AC power)
Lens: Vivitar (Komine) 55mm f/2.8 auto macro (adapted from Olympus OM mount)
Support: Bogen 22B Special enlarger base + Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead
Film holder/light source: Skier Sunray Copy Box II

USB tethered to early 2013 iMac for tethered capture with Lightroom. The whole digitizing setup (sans computer) is on a remote outlet so it can be completely powered off/on as needed

2 Likes

I’ve been using this setup for 2+ years with great success. I capture film, slides, and reflective media, up to 800 pieces per hour.

2 Likes

I’ve shot with several Canon bodies (crop frame, full frame, mirrorless, and 5DSR) and the only one I use daily is the 5DSR. Totally worth it for me!

1 Like

I’ve reworked my setup slightly:

Instead of attaching the camera to the copy stand, I now use a lens clamp instead. This lets me rotate the camera so that I can see and use it as usual, which is a great relief.

Gear: Stand from Fujimoto “Lucky” enlarger, Canon EOS 5D3, Canon EF100 f/2,8 USM, Kaiser plano backlight, cardboard lens shade, rocket blower and remote release.

4 Likes

With too much free time offshore :wink: I made up this camera scanner.
It’s fully adjustable but once setup for a particular camera / lens then no more adjustment is needed.
It does negatives and slides.
I use Veho negative carriers and just slide them along to capture the next image, all very quick and easy.
I use my Samsung tablet as a back light and it works fine.
My Sony A7R3 is tethered to my PC using Song remote app and LR watches the download folder and shows the photos pretty much immediately

2 Likes

Is the rail that support the 5DSr and the lens 3D printed as well? The legs?

Is the whole rig 3D printed?

I’d be interested in buying the stl’s if you ever think about licensing them to others.

Thanks!

Maude

Hi - the camera slider, light source and diffusion were all bought on Amazon;

Fomito Upgraded Camera Video Slider Track Dolly Stabilization System
(60cm / 24")
Aputure AL-H160 160 Bulb on Camera Light (Black)
A 1/4" thick sheet of 55% translucent plexi to provide two layers of diffusion.

For copying 4x5 film, I designed a slightly different holder, and used
a studio flash 6’ away to light the film…I was worried the LED light
source might not be even enough (it is fine with 6x12 film, so I was
probably paranoid.

The total for the above was about $165.

I can send you more photos of the system, film holders etc if you
e-mail me at ericbb@evolvingbeauty.com

I’d be happy to give you the STL files…I don’t feel comfortable
selling them, as that implies some level of quality…and I am a total
amateur when it comes to 3D design, so I am just happy it works.

All the best,

e.

Hi!

This thread is immensely useful and I’m learning a great lot. I’m about to pull the trigger on a dslr rig myself and would value the input of all members of the following items:

• I’ve seen a YouTude vidéo where a person is using a studio strobe for lighting. From what I got as information, the strobe is a 300W. It is mounted vertically under the copy stand and there’s a hole in the table and copy stand. There is three levels of diffusion. Would you suggest such a setup for someone like me who is buying all from scratch, except the 5Ds and the Contax Zeiss Makro Planar 100mm f2,8?

• I’ve seen both horizontal and vertical setups in the thread. Initially I was looking at an horizontal setup but then the idea of wet scanning came to my mind courtesy of YT… A vertically mounted negative wouldn’t be able to be wet scanned… what do you recommend?

Thank you for any comments!