Let's see your DSLR film scanning setup!

Do you mind saying where you got the lights or the brand?

Thanks
SM1

I use two of the Genaray SpectroLED Essential 500IID Daylight LED Light (I actually have the first version that now replaced with this newer version) You can get them from Amazon (https://amzn.to/2PGXeQs - sold individually) They are also available on B&H Photo for the same price or can be bought as a bundle with stands. These are great lights!

The lighting arms that I use are actually from the Smith Victor LED Light kit that I ended up buying just to use the arms.

Very interesting. Thanks.

Am thinking of buying ES-2 Digitizing attachment…but doesn’t advancing slides and/or negs jostle the camera each time and/or knock ES-2 out of exact position?

Wouldn’t camera attached to copy stand, with attached base, and fixed slide/negative holder, be less fussy re positioning?

It does jostle it, however it is probably easier to get a parallel framing than with a copy stand.

Just found something that looks interesting:

My Imacon 646 motherboard went bust last month, so now DSLR scanning. Here’s my new set up. Kaiser copy stand and light pad, Nikon D850, Tokina 100mm lens, and Negative Supply 35mm holder (and slide mount holder). By using lens hoods and some strategic tape and black board, I’m able to scan with the lights on, which is much less fatiguing than having to switch on and off to view what I’m doing (it’s all archival cut strips). Dedicated Mac Mini and monitor, tethered to LR though scanning to a Drobo and then doing the conversion on my main desktop.

1 Like

I wonder if you like your new setup as much as the Imacon 646. :sweat_smile:

p.s. Recently I purchased a Sony a7R IV and a 90mm macro lens as a replacement for the Flextight X1.

I will say it’s within ‘spitting distance.’ Edge sharpness probably the biggest difference (Imacon being sharper). Both seem to take just as much post work to adjust the images to where I like them, but of course the dslr set up is much much quicker to make the actual scan. I haven’t done any actual printing yet - next week. I think it comes down to CCD vs CMOS sensor. I have to fairly aggressively sharpen the D850 files compared to the Imacon.

What happened to your X1 if I may ask? I had mine for a good 15 years, but the motherboard seemed to go and no replacements. Would love another one, but not ready to spend what they’re going for on the used market to end up with another boat anchor down the road. If I need a drum scan for something really important or to print at a much larger size then that can be done. At least with a. dslr set up one can use/sell all the various ‘parts’ later on if need be.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and opinions.
I will be testing my setup within a few weeks.
I am half concerned and half excited. :sweat_smile:

p.s. My X1 story – Hasselblad scanner repair

Sounds like what happened to mine. For a couple of weeks it needed several restarts etc to recognize the software and scan and then nothing. Even tried the hidden SCSI port on an old PC, got it recognized, started a scan and then grinding and nothing. FW and SCSI ports recognized by the PC and MACs (running older software of course) but Flexcolor just not connecting with the scanner itself. Hasselblad US said it’s most likely the motherboard but none available. Going to sell it for parts at this point. Frustrating.

I understand how you feel. :disappointed:

Sorry for the newbie question but would this work in a vertical setup?

Copy stand
Full frame mirrorless
PB-5 Bellows
enlarger/copy lens
film holder
light pad

am I missing something here? Or does this only work with bellows on both sides of the lens?

…sounds good to me…

Bellows on both sides of the lens can help reduce stray light. This is specially helpful if you want to work in a bright room. It’s not necessary thought if you dim your room and mask off all areas of the light pad that you don’t use as a backlight.

Some enlarger lenses have aperture displays that are lit from one side, usually by the enlarger. Reverse such lenses (one bellows use) or put some black tape on the light ports to prevent stray light.

After finally getting all the pieces to the puzzle. Here’s my setup!

2 Likes

@nuno

Really like your build !

How did you assemble the camera mount to the aluminium arm though ?

Just got my Essential Film Holder and am working on piecing together the rest of the setup now. Would love more details on your stand and how you mounted the arca-style receiver to it. Is that 8020 aluminum?

Also love the idea of your anti-static dust gate. No scratches from those carbon fiber bristles so far?

This assembly comes with 2 screws and 2 spring loaded nuts like these https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/selectable-sliding-block-with-spring-B-type-groove-8-thread-diameter and that allows you with M5 screws to secure the camera mount into the rail of the central aluminum pole.

This is the kit - https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Reprostativ-V5-kit

1 Like

No scratches at all. If anything barely any dust, which I am loving! There are really gentle, made for vinyl records and much cheaper than kinetronics stuff!

For the ones asking, you would need a tripod head that features 2 holes, like the one they recommend: https://www.amazon.de/Andoer®-Schnellwechselplatte-Gradienter-55mm-Kugelkopf-Wimberley/dp/B00N5HHRO2

NIce and perfectly adapted

I’m planning to reproduce this in a smaller scale :

Not immediately but in the next month or two

Your stand could be a nice addition to my future set up
Thanks !