Lightroom automations

Hey guys, I’d be interested in hearing any automations you have set up to speed up the scanning/converting to positive process.

What I’d like to set up personally is:

Set white balance off border manually then apply same WB to all 36 photos of the roll. (Can i Save this WB value to use on other films if they are the same film stock?)

Crop one photo and then apply same crop to all

Run lens distortion correction

Batch process with NLP and add film metadata

Keen to hear what others have set up :grinning:

When I import negatives into Lightroom I:

1. select them all
  2. Go to Deve!op
  3. Set sync to Autosync
  4. Set white balance
  5. Crop

All done and ready for negative lab pro. Autosync is the right tool for you.

I’d recommend using “sync settings” in LR and NOT Auto Sync…

The problem with Auto Sync is that it could cause issues with Negative Lab Pro working correctly in Batch Mode… basically, in Batch Mode, the changes you are making in Negative Lab Pro should only be applied to the master image… if you want those changes then applied to all the images in batch mode, you can select “Sync Settings” from within Negative Lab Pro - this will bring over both the settings AND the metadata of those NLP settings… If you use the AutoSync, it will basically cause the LR settings to get applied across the images without the underlying metadata coming over as well. So then, if you open up NLP in the future to further edit those images, the image will appear differently when opened because the metadata was not updated along with the LR settings. Make sense?

So the workflow I recommend is like this:

1. Select one image
  2. Set White Balance (ONLY IF RAW - DO NOT SET WHITE BALANCE IF TIF OR JPEG)
  3. Crop (MAY NOT BE NECESSARY IF SMALL BORDERS)
  4. Select the rest of your roll.
  5. Hit “Sync Settings” and apply for white balance and crop.
1 Like

Very helpful thanks Nate.

1 Like

Good point. Autosync will make a mess if it’s left on when using NLP.

1 Like

Lr will simply apply the settings of the last converted image of a selection to all previous images.

Could this be prevented if NLP switched off autosync automatically? Can NLP do this switch?

There isn’t a way for NLP to see if AutoSync is turned on, and there isn’t a way for it to change it either.